Thread: "space stack pages"

Silver Member

"space stack pages"

Hi, I received the following message from a friend concerning a message she got on her computer. I have no idea where to start. . She is running Windows 98 an a Packard Bell computer that is probably a Pentium I or II with a 350 mhz. processor.
    Any suggestions. Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,
    This morning a message came up on my computer, and not sure what I have to do.
    Windows - There are no space stack pages. It may be necessary to increase the setting of
    'min SP's' in system. Ini to prevent possible stacks faults. There are currently
    5 SPs allocated.

It also seems like my computer freezes up alot. What do I have to do to solve this. Email me when ever you have time. Thanks,
    Linda

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Here ya go Mike;

There's an M$ knowledge base article here

and another useful link from winguides.com here

Windows sets aside a number of extra memory pages (spare stack pages) to be used temporarily to prevent a system "crash" due to a stack overflow condition. Sometimes all the spare pages can be used, and an error message is shown, this tweak allows you to increase the number available.
    If you receive the following error message, it means Windows has detected that it has run out of spare stack pages. Windows should continue to operate normally unless a device driver encounters a stack overflow condition when there are no free spare stack pages.

Error: There are no spare stack pages. It may be necessary to increase the setting named 'MinSPs' in System.ini to prevent possible stack faults. There are currently [xxx] SPs allocated.
    To increase the number of available spare pages follow these instructions:
    Open the file SYSTEM.INI located in your Windows directory (usually C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI) using a text editor (e.g. Notepad).
    Add the following line to the [386Enh] section of the file MinSPs=4 then restart the computer.

If the problem persists, increase the number of spare stack pages in increments of 4 (for example: 8, 12, 16). Each spare stack page requires 4 kilobytes of memory.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Silver Member
    Hi Rev,

I read the link to the Microsoft article. That describes the problem exactly. I will have to make a house call to make the entries, because I don't think she will try it alone. Many thanks, I know I can always come here for help !!! Mike

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Let us know if it works.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========