Thread: Error # 0X80070424

Silver Member

Error # 0X80070424

I am working on a friends computer. When I manually go to the Windows Update site, I get the following error #0X80070424 I tried the Microsoft fix about the Background Intelliget Transfer etc, but it did not work. I Googled that error number, and there are many free programs to download that will fix the problem, but I hesitate to download anything without checking the program, first. Can anyone recommend a legit program to download, that will fix the problem. I alreday have run Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and sfc / scannow,
    but nothing helped so far.

Silver Member
    Forgot to mention the computer is running XP Pro with SP3. MSE is the antivrus. I ran Malwarebytes and it found 12 infected files, then CCleaner, and then MSE. Everything is clean now, but I can't get any updates from the Microsoft site.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    2 possible solutions here:

Go to Start > Run and type in "regsvr32 wuaueng.dll" (without quotes). Hit enter. Now try Windows Update.

If that doesn't work try this:

Go to Start > Run and in the box type cmd.

At the DOS prompt type "net stop wuauserv" (without quotes). Press enter.

Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution and delete the contents of this folder. Make sure you just delete the contents and not the actual SoftwareDistribution folder.

Go back to the DOS prompt window and type "net start wuauserv" (without quotes). Press Enter.

Try Windows Update again.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Silver Member
    Reverend---The first solution fixed the problem. The computer is downloading updates as I am typing this reply. Thank you so much !! This site is the GREATEST Have a Happy Memorial Day everyone.....Mike

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    here is a batch file I use at work to clean up the software distro folder and restart the services. Just copy and paste into notepad and save it to something.bat:

echo off
    cls

net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits

rmdir /s/q %windir%\softwaredistribution
    regsvr32 /s %windir%\system32\wups2.dll

net start wuauserv
    net start bits