Thread: Linux friendly hardware

Linux friendly hardware

From time to time, I will post to this thread, information about my experiences with hardware on my Linux computers. I undertake this due to two recent instances that I had to return merchandise to the vendor due to an inability to make it work on "my" network. Getting it right the first time will help the user and the vendor.

If every manufacturer provided Linux drivers with their products this effort would not be needed. Until then we can help each other from making costly mistakes.

Others are encouraged to share your experiences.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

ZOTAC GeForce 8400 GS

A couple months ago, I decided it was time to update the video in my quad-core AMD system running Linux Mint ver 10. I had been using internal graphics since purchasing the computer. My goal was to improve image quality and performance. Since I am not a gamer, there was no reason to purchase a high-end card. There are numerous inexpensive cards that would accomplish my goals.

There are two inexpensive cards that should do the job. They were the Radeon 5450 and the GeForce 8400 GS. I chose the Radeon 5450 after checking test results. It turned out that it would work fine when connected directly to my monitor. However, when routed through a KVM switch, strange things began to happen. It might boot to a resolution other than that established during set-up. Or it might boot to the correct resolution, only to have the next computer boot to the wrong resolution. Unable to resolve these issues, I returned the card to the vendor.

Last week I decided to try again. This time I ordered the Zotac GeForce 8400 GS I connected card to the monitor via the HDMI port. Results were phenomenal. The image on the screen was sharper,clearer and more vibrant than I have ever experienced on a monitor before. The result cannot be overstated.

A compromise had to me made to use it it with the KVM. The quad-core is connected directly to the monitor via HDMI. Mouse and keyboard are routed through the KVM. On the second computer, the video, mouse and keyboard are routed through the KVM. Everything works fine as long as one computer is shut down before booting the other. It is a compromise that I can live with.

Conclusion:

It is possible that the Radeon 5450 would have functioned with the same setup. I experienced so many issues with that card that I never even tried HDMI output on it. What I can say is that the GeForce 8400 GS worked right out of the box.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition