Thread: 10.1" Android Tablet (Purchase directly from China)

10.1" Android Tablet (Purchase directly from China)

NOT RECOMMENDED!!

For this review to be of value, it will be helpful for you to know a little about me. First, my son would like you to know that he considers me to be an old fart. I will be 68 in February, so maybe he is right on that part.

Second, I like tech toys. That is everything except cell phones (refer to above paragraph which provides a clue as to why). As an old fart, I can't think of anyone that I want to talk to under any terms other than my own. Certainly not when driving or shopping. I currently have four computers on my desk. They include two Linux desktop computers (one of which is a quad-core), a dual core notebook, and now the tablet.

I tried unsuccessfully, to buy one of the HP tablets during the fire-sale. That got me thinking about what else might be available at a reasonable price. There were many tablets with the same specs sold under different names. I soon found that they were grouped by processor, size, or Android version. Older tablets tended to have slower processors and Android Version 2.1. Newer tablets had 1 gb processors and ran on Android ver. 2.2 . To further complicate a purchase, prices varied wildly. I found 10.1" tablets with the 1gb processor running Android 2.2 selling for as little as $134 to as much as $499. The biggest difference in price was that the cheap models were sold directly from China.

I was more than a little apprehensive about giving credit card info to Chinese merchants. I found a solution after a little research. I purchased from a site that allowed payment via PayPal. Link The shipment arrived in four business days.

This tablet is not a replacement for a notebook computer.

Positives:
    Light weight
    Reasonable Speed
    Touch screen is responsive
    Came with cable to connect to tv via usb
    Came with car charger

Negatives:
    Took many attempts to establish a connection that would work every time the unit was turned on.
    Screen rotation was too sensitive. It would activate at irrational times. I turned it off.
    Battery life is 5-6 hours (Warning - Batteries vary greatly in these tablets) the highter rating the better)
    Case is plastic. It would not survive a drop
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I have been using the tablet since September. I am happy to report that I am much happier with its operation than I was three months ago. There was a steep learning curve and I have upgraded the OS from Android 2.2 to version 4.0. Android 4.0 provides for smoother touch screen operation and longer battery life.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I bought a coby android tablet and would not recommend it as a replacement. I use it mainly for watching movies and tv show. I'm thinking of waiting for the ipad 2 to drop its price when the 3 comes out. and rumor has it that they might come out with a 7inch ipad that would be nice to have for the size.