Thread: XP Activation Freezes after new hard drive installation

XP Activation Freezes after new hard drive installation

I recently installed a new hard drive in my wife's pc. I then used the recovery dvd that came with the system to reset to factory status. It all seems to go well but when I start windows it says that I need to activate this copy of windows. I click yes activate but then it just hangs there, no error messages or nothing. It is an e-machine with xp home edition. Does anyone have a solution for this? I have my product key.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try installing Internet Explorer 8. XP comes with an older version of IE that may be conflicting with the activation. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=43

Also make sure you are running XP SP3.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Ok, I tried that but then I got this "The Procedure entry point SRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link Library SHLWAPI.dll". I looked in the system information and it says that it is service pack 1. Also when I boot up in safe mode it says that the operating system is xp pro but everywhere else it says xp home????

I installed sp 2 and 3 and IE8. Now I can only boot up in safe mode.

Install your graphics card drivers.

I could not find the install disk for the graphics card( Diamond Stealth S60 Radeon 7000, so I went to thier website and downloaded it. The system said that I needed .net 2.0 or better so I downloaded that. It would not install saying there was a file needed, but closed before I could read the full error message. I went into the event viewer and found that two errors consitantly come up. 1. The following boot-start driver(s) failed to load: Fips Processor. 2. DCOm got error "This service annot be started in Safe Mode" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments" in order to run the server. Attachment 1844
    Last edited by Rfarris39; August 15th, 2012 at 00:38 AM.