Thread: The description for Event ID 7023 from source Service Control Manager cannot be found

The description for Event ID 7023 from source Service Control Manager cannot be found

The title says it all. I'm on my way towards a fresh install on my Vista Business SP2 system, but I need to "limp" the PC along for another couple of weeks. I'm concerned that this error I see in the event log might be something that could turn into a show-stopper, but I can't find anything on the 'net that helps explain what's actually the problem, it's severity, and what I can do about it:

The description for Event ID 7023 from source Service Control Manager cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Offline Files
    %%2147942403

The locale specific resource for the desired message is not present

I'm getting it at every startup within the first 60 seconds of recorded system event data. It's only been happening since last Thursday (the 6th). I have been recovering my PC from a fairly nasty Trojan on 29/8/12 (first one ever - that'll teach me for seeing what happens if one tries to surf for a whole day with AV turned off...) and have tried all manner of suggestions from various people and website, so it's probable that my tinkering has caused the problem. But regardless of how the problem arose, I just want to be able to get through 2 weeks or so without the PC dying on me, as I can't do a repair install with the current Vista media that I have (I have a Business Upgrade edition, which is great, except that it doesn't have any integrated SPs, and MS can't supply me with a disc or ISO that includes SP2, and I can't uninstall SP2 from my system, so that means a Repair Install is out: I've sourced a legal copy of W7 Business upgrade but it won't be here for a week, then I'll need to make time to install it, blah blah).

I've done an SFC / SCANNOW and it reported:

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

I did find that, for some odd reason, I got this error in the event log this morning on startup (30 of them, in fact):

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:.

I've done a chkdsk which found 6 or so cross-linked files and had to do a few repairs. What preceded that was a sudden shutdown (one of those nasty "Windows has encountered a critical error and is shutting down in 1 min" arrangements) that I found was related to the main hard drive (I have 2: a Seagate 320GB SATA2 "main drive" and a Western Digital 160GB SATA2 "2nd drive" that contains the Photoshop scratch file, Windows Page File, and my Flight Simming add-ons storage folder). The following event error was generated:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

I've done a full DOS-based Seagate scan and the drive tested 100% ok on an extended scan, and the SMART hasn't been tripped and reports ok. I did note that when Windows shut down the PC wouldn't reboot, and the motherboard didn't see the main 320GB drive. However, upon doing a power down then up, all was good. I'm hoping it's a one-off thing, but it sort of smells like a motherboard error, which may explain all sorts of odd little things I've seen in the PC here and there over the last year or so. But as you all know, trouble-shooting intermittent motherboard problems is like trying to nail jelly to a wall...

Anyway, hints, tips and comments are welcome. I'm going to clone the 320GB tonight across to a new 1TB drive (which I've been meaning to do for the last 6 months - oh for a "round to it"...) so I've got a known good backup, plus I did a full backup using Todo last night (but I can't tell if it finished ok as the PC was locked up this morning) - I got a number of info message around about the time that the backup was supposed to finish, which don't mean anything to me:

This looks normal:
    Information 9/09/2012 10:34:47 p.m. Virtual Disk Service 3 None Service started.
    Information 9/09/2012 10:34:47 p.m. Service Control Manager 7036 None The Virtual Disk service entered the running state.
    Information 9/09/2012 10:34:56 p.m. Service Control Manager 7036 None The EaseUS Agent Service service entered the running state.

This doesn't look good:
    Information 9/09/2012 11:02:39 p.m. BROWSER 8033 None The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{D148D728-B359-4CD4-B034-B27D8CAE08B5} because a master browser was stopped.
    Information 9/09/2012 11:02:42 p.m. Microsoft-Windows-ResourcePublication 102 None The service temporarily stopped publishing because of a power event.
    Information 9/09/2012 11:28:15 p.m. Service Control Manager 7036 None The Adobe Flash Player Update Service service entered the running state.
    Information 9/09/2012 11:28:15 p.m. Service Control Manager 7036 None The Adobe Flash Player Update Service service entered the stopped state.
    Information 10/09/2012 12:28:17 a.m. Service Control Manager 7036 None The Adobe Flash Player Update Service service entered the running state.
    Information 10/09/2012 12:28:17 a.m. Service Control Manager 7036 None The Adobe Flash Player Update Service service entered the stopped state.
    Information 10/09/2012 1:28:02 a.m. Service Control Manager 7036 None The Adobe Flash Player Update Service service entered the running state.
    Information 10/09/2012 1:28:02 a.m. Service Control Manager 7036 None The Adobe Flash Player Update Service service entered the stopped state.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    This is for XP but may point to a similar issue with your Vista install: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328213

The Event ID error generally relates to a program that has been uninstalled or moved.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Thanks again Reverend for your help. No, nothing there seemed to help - the Offline thing wasn't even enabled. I've tried enabling to see what happens next reboot.

Well, the deleting of the CRC folder & enable / reboot fixed the problem. I was then able to disable Offline files and reboot and now that problem has gone. I've since purchased a W7 upgrade disc & gone 2 W7 Pro - apart from forgetting to uninstall IE9 & getting a weird error message about not enough disk space, the upgrade install went pretty well. Consider this thread closed.