I am new to this clone, image, restore processes, so be patient if I jump around. I have a Dell Vostro with Win 7, which I just upgraded to Win 8 Pro for about $16.00 I just got a Seagate 1 TB external hard drive for Christmas which has a backup software called Memeo Instant Dashboard etc. I thought I was backing up the entire hard drive, including the operating system, that I know has about 60 Gig of info. on it.
But that is not the case. If I open Windows Explorer and find the backup file on the Seagate drive, there is only 16 Gig of info. there. I do not remember getting a choice of CLONE or IMAGE. So, not confident about this backup.
I also had downloaded a free backup utility called Macrium Reflect. I tried those directions. I am sure I choses the entire "C" drive. Well this time if I check the Seagate drive, I see another folder with about 40 Gig of info. Better, but not the 60 Gig of info I have. Also, when I was finished the backup, I was asked to create a recovery disc. I said yes, and followed the directions, but when asked to insert a CD / DVD etc. none of the four different brands were acceptable, so not happy about this backup either.
I had read about a backup program within Windows 8, called File History. I tried that, at the beginning it told me that there was about 61 Gig of info. to backup, so that made sense. All went well including making the rescue disc. BUT...if I check Windows Explorer, there is a folder there called. WindowsImageBackup. If I right click on it, and choose Properties, there is only 16 bytes of info. there. So now, I am confused. The backup or whatever, took 39 minutes, so it WAS doing something. Why do I see only 16 bytes of info. in that file ? Is it because I chose IMAGE ?? I hope.
I am not looking for anything fancy in these backups. They do not have to be automatic etc. In fact my plan is maybe about once a month, I plan to connect the Seagate external hard drive, do the backup, and then disconnect. Suggestions, comments, Please. Thanks, Mike