Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fragmento

phish...ntfs handles files so differantly, microsft didn't even want to put a defrag utility in the nt kernal in the first place, as they didn't see a need.

diskeeper struck a deal with ms, and gives them the utility for free, so that they can get the free advertisement.

this is the reason you cannot schedule a defrag in xp.(ha...my batch file foils that strategy)

the deal is, leave that feature out, so people might be more inclined to purchase the commercilal diskeeper
    perris

Titanium Member
    I'm DL perfect disk now. One thing is did DL recently is Mailwasher. There has been 2 occasions that, when sitting in my tray, mailwasher will suddenly drive up my CPU to 99% - and clicking on the tray icon or quickstart would not call it up. I had to go to task manager to "end task".
    All my other programs wil open quickly, it's just images that have a long "hang"

first, remove this program, and see if that resolves your problem

you will love perfect disc

you should do a boot time defrag, before the regular defrag.

because the program is doing so much work, it will take a long time the first time it moves the files...after that, less time... I'd schedule for a % fragmentation criteria, instead of a time frame
    perris

Titanium Member
    I ran all virus-ad-bot scans and turned up nothing.
    I can see Perfect disk will take a loooooong while!

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Perris, when I suggested to empty all Temp files I did not claim this would lessen fragmentation but this would speed up your PC especially if you've got months of junk there.

My sugggestion to Lynch, reformat. I'm sure Tinker will concur.
    Last edited by Conan; November 1st, 2002 at 01:16 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I'd say try all that has been suggested, pefect disk, diskeeper etc...
    If none of it works, then reinstall. A fresh install of XP will get rid of all that junk you have on your PC Lynch.. hehehe and it will give you time to download more junk to replace the old junk that you got rid of when you reinstalled.

You might try splitting your HDD into sections, 2 or more. One for the OS, and one for any files you download. That way you can defrag much more quickly, and I have found that you can use your OS to defrag the secondary and tertiary drives while surfing the net, etc.. providing you are not accessing those drives. But you have to stop using the default, in my case, the C: drive to defrag it, or it takes forever and your drive never becomes defragged... (that is my experience, others may have different results).
    Perris seems to know pagefile, defragmentation and OS performance enhancement and the like very well. I would listen to his suggestions as they seem reasonable and quite well thought out.
    BB

Titanium Member
    Thanks BB. It never really took very long with Diskeeper anyway. 5 minutes usually. I don't really have a lot of junk - I think. This PC is only 7 months old. There is only 8.97GB used with 65.5GB of free space left!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I haven't the slightest idea why you have a fragmentation problem. You could schedule it to defrag on the bootup...

I would parition that HDD into two or three partitions however. I seem to notice a perfermance increase in doing so, but I could be mistaken.
    keep us updated.
    BB

HDD problems make me ..............

There never seems to be a cure. One is always fighting to keep things going once problems occur. I did have to reformat and fresh install on drive C: ........ Believe it or not I accidentally deleted the patition.....

This did solve all the problems that I was having at the time so yea it did work but it was not my plain to do so.

My HDD has 3 partitions, C: = 10 gig and has O.S. on it, D: = 10 gig and is not in use at this time but I plain to put another O.S. there, E: = 55 gig and is used for file storage. This set up works just like BB pointed out. Defraging any one section is faster than doing the whole HDD. I have also found that almost 90% of fragmentation occurs on my C: partition with he O.S. on it. I defrag the E: partition about once to ever 10 defrags of C: ....

Also when I had to fresh install XP the only thing I had to do is tweak the O.S. and re-setup my programs via all the information from the E: partition. I have the 80% of my reg tweaks in a folder on E: so that made it quicker to recover as well....

Just some of the things that I have done with my system.

Good luck and I hope you find an easy cure........
    Last edited by Tinker; November 1st, 2002 at 08:23 AM.

Titanium Member
    Thanks Tinker and all.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    So I take it that problem isn't solved ??

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i doubt its a defrag problem:

some program is causing you a delay

goto startmenu
    run
    type msconfig

and look in the startup for things that should not be there

i would also add/remove a bunch of things that dont come with windows

if you have quicktime installed, real player, aol, gator, gain,

any kind of picture viewer

i think its getting delayed on your shared folder

might be looking for an internet connection

could be a virus of some sort

if your not on a network

goto control panel/ network connections
    right click on local area network

uncheck
    client for microsoft
    file and print sharing
    QoS packet scheduling

leave the tcip checked(thats for most internet connections)

i always do this to my fresh installations and have quick boot times

if this doesnt help
    get a program called
    xpantispy and atomicxp
    every fresh install i use these programs to disable some strange xp features

this could help you

this is what i suggest without looking at your system

its very hard to troubleshoot without your computer in front of me

try these out

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium Member
    Hello Egghead, I ran that Atomicxp thing and I lost my "My Documents" folder on the start panel. Do you know how I can get it back?....

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Right click Start> Properties> Customize> Advanced> My Documents & put a check in *Display as a Link* If Atomicxp does something so you can't do this then look for an un-do in Atomicxp.

[edit]= since this is the fragmento thread just want to add that I gave Perfect Disk a try. It sure set my HD different than XP defrag had it. I originally had a static swap of 1gig & it was set at the end of the OS then all my other files were after it. At the start of Perfect Disk the graph showed that I had a small MFT zone plus my swap at the front of disk. After running PD my swap is now moved clean across the HD & I now have a huge MFT.

I never had a problem with XP defrag...seemed to work just fine but I will say that things are loading faster since I've used PD , no placebo effect cuz I was a skeptic to begin with !

I don't know what effect moving the swap or the large MFT will have but so far I give Perfect Disk a

Now lynch...did you get your problem fixed ???
    Last edited by FastGame; November 3rd, 2002 at 00:40 AM.

Titanium Member
    I have a huge one too.....

It seems to be a little better. When you save as BMP, does it take a while for you?

After I ran that utlilty, I can no longer open Diskeeper. I know I have the other one but I was checking to see the difference - but now it won't open at all

I fixed my documents folder. This utility is incredible!

Thanks!
    Last edited by lynchknot; November 3rd, 2002 at 00:57 AM.