Thread: IE Problem

IE Problem

When i try to download any file (tried many times on many websites ) It downloads the file automatically (without prompting me at all) and tried to open it after the download.. so it doesn't popup the download dialog.. i don tknow how it got here but would really appreciate if someone could help me fix it..
    Thanks in advance,
    BLACKWAR

What default download manager are you using BLACKWAR????
    I know that with DAP 5 there is an option in the configuration file. That allows it to immediatly start all downloads without showing the INFO window. So you just have to click on the item and it will start to download straight away
    check your option for something similar as they somehow may have been changed in an update or something else.
    R.I.P
    MSN Status: | Please Read The Forum Rules

no no.. thats not the problem
    it doesn't transfer the file to the download manager at all.. thats not the problem
    i think this ss will explain better...
    http://blackwar1.netfirms.com/iebug.JPG

/me slaps blackwar

so you're using a download manager? here's a thought.. uninstall the f$^%ing download manager

i dunno which one that is, but if you *need* to use one, then i'd go for download mage i've used it and had no problems whatsoever. hope it helps.

ugh.. u guys dont understand
    there is no problem with the download manager and im using flashget..
    i completely uninstalled the thing and this still happens and i know it is IE problem , just can't find a setting where to change it
    (has nothing to do with the download manager)

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Yeah i think i know what you mean Blackwar.The dialog box that appears prior to the download asking you where you want to download to and whether to save or open it.
    Try this go to tools > internet options.On the advanced tab,there's an option to "notify when downloads complete".Make sure that is enabled,and click apply.If that doesn't solve it go back to the advanced tab and hit the "restore defaults" button.Click apply again.

EDITJust remembered something else you could also try.
    Open Windows explorer.Go to Tools > Folder Options.On the File Types Tab scroll through the list and find the common filetypes (Zip,exe,etc),select each file type,one by one,and click the advanced button each time.Make sure "Confirm Open after Download" is enabled for the file type you have selected.

Last edited by Reverend; April 26th, 2002 at 08:18 AM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

TRY THESE SITES BW

HERE YOU GO, THEY MAY OR MAY NOT HELP...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q299328

http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/ans...tm#downloading

That site is the money site for this problem!!!!

Check it out!!!!
    Downloading a programme triggers Quicktime
    Trying to download opens a blank page with an icon in the corner
    Can't download programme files (EXE)

RESOLUTION:
    Microsoft has released a Knowledge Base article regarding this problem that tells you what is wrong, but doesn't provide full advise on how to fix things:

Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer [Q303401]
    http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q303/4/01.asp

Quicktime has released an updated version compatible with the versions of IE listed above. Uninstall Quicktime. Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry key. Export the key and then delete it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

You will, of course, need to reinstall QuickTime with a version compatible with your IE version.

Note that other programmes may be affected, so have a look at ..\downloaded program files if you are having problems downloading EXE files. Selectively delete any third party plugins that you find there (noting what you have removed and testing after every deletion) if you are unable to resolve a problem downloading EXE files (make sure you check the registry key above FIRST which may provide clues as to where the problem lies). Ask in the newsgroup if you are not sure what the plugin is BEFORE deleting. We don't want you deleting something essential that is not easily replaced.

It might be that when you installed mozilla it corrupted a file in IE...
    I dunno as I don't have Mozilla installed...

ENJOY,
    BB

Reverend
    Thanks, i tried all those but i still got the problem

Big Booger

Well i tried deleting the reg. entries as they specified but still the exact same problem.. Weird but i don't have the quicktime plugin installed or anything like that..The only plugins are Flashget and the Open with Acrobat reader..
    Very weird that everybody keeps saying this.. i don't know how mozilla can effect this, and i also tried uninstalling it and still having the problem.. Oddest problem i've had until now..

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    The last bit of advice I can give you is to
    A.) try a system restore, I know I know, it never works, its worth a shot though
    B.) try this site
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q293907
    Pay special attention to the repair feature! Also you might consider uninstalling 6.0 the program and then reinstall it...

Other than that I dunno what else to say other than to ask Conan on the best way to reinstall XP, as he seems to be the pro when it comes to that business.
    BB

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I thought Rev's suggestions would solve the problem. It's probably the Mozilla install then. Yes a reformat sounds like the solution.
    Last edited by Conan; April 26th, 2002 at 14:38 PM.

i was afraid one of you would say i need to reformat
    I don't have time for that now though.. i really got a lotta bull going on that i need to fix a LOT more important than this..
    im using mozilla as my default browser anyway but i just wanted to fix this bug which as its name is bugging me to hell
    If anyone has any clue to whatever it may be, please, post it
    Thanks

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Blackwar here's a guide for repairing and re-installing IE 6 on XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q318378

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

damnit that was my last chance at maybe succeeding but that didn't work either
    There must be something else that is corrupted or it is just some stupid setting i forgot somewhere
    i know it is as silly as that if i only could find it in this whole pile of winblows options i can't find the damn thing for it not to open exe and zip files

thanks to all that helped
    my problem is now solved by installing the latest IE sp1 beta
    your help was much appreciated ppl
    It seems like i can always count on you... also thanks for giving me this feeling of trust