Thread: sysedit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Silver Member

sysedit

I am trying to help a friend with her computer. I believe I have the fix from the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article #Q149083.
    The fix involves making a change to sysedit. However when she types in SYSEDIT at RUN, she gets the following message
    "Cannot find sysedit (or one of its components). Make sure the path & file name are correct and that all required libraries are available." I told her to then type in SFC at RUN, and it ran through ok without finding any bad files etc. She is running Windows 98 Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Mike

try msconfig at the run command
    I'm never wrong, just misinformed !

Cody

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Mike,i presume you are trying to fix the problem you posted a few weeks ago here

OK,instead of typing sysedit, type in this c:\windows\system.ini it should open the system.ini file in notepad,you can then edit the file as described in the knowledge base article.

Or navigate directly to the WINDOWS folder and locate the system.ini file,and double click it to edit it.
    (make sure "show hidden files" is enabled in folder options > view tab)

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hey mike13:

it wouldnt be a bad idea to do a virus scan

i have read articles about trojans replacing sysedit.exe

i dont know if thats you situation but i would always scan for viruses when i get oddball windows messages and errors
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...r.evilbot.html

yahoo search results here

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=sysedit.exe

do the online virus scan here

free and up to date

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Silver Member
    CYOUNG1616 - your instruction as well as the Reverend let her access the system.ini file to do the change. Thanks, Mike

Reverend - yes, I am trying to help her fix the problem I posted a while back. I wound up in the hospital for some surgery, and just now got around to following the instructions that were at the article you led me to. I was able to talk her through making the change to the system.ini file. It will be a wait and see now, because she did not always get that "No spare stack pages " error. In the meantime, I told her how to defrag her computer which has never been done since she bought it in 1998.
    I also mentioned that it might be a good idea to just format the computer and reinstall Windows 98, if that change does not work. That way she would start with a clean machine minus all the garbage that has been accumulated. She agreed that might be a good idea because she only uses the computer for surfing and e-mail. There really isn't anything on it that couldn't easily be replaced. Thanks again for your help, Mike

Egghead - I installed Norton on her computer back in April, but that was AFTER she did have a virus. It took awhile to eliminate the virus, but maybe that did have something to do with the problem, although she did not get the error message until a few weeks ago. Who knows ??? Thanks anyway for your help, Mike

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    norton misses some viruses and she has to keep her definitions updated as well

if you can
    get here the online scan link so she knows for sure

i've had numerous virus scanners on my computer and this would find some scary ones

i use

kaspersky's

http://www.kaspersky.com/buyonline.html?chapter=610611
    it also stops those cookie trojans you get at certain websites
    and read havoc

im glad you got it fixed

cheers
    egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------