"Minecraft" is one of the best-selling games of all time, with a dedicated fanbase in the hundreds of millions. Now it's getting a new title in the franchise called "Minecraft Dungeons," out Tuesday, which takes the classic block-building, zombie-slaying game into an entertaining adventure format.

Fans of "Minecraft" may enjoy "Minecraft Dungeons," but it doesn't have the building and crafting element of the original title, so hardcore builders will likely skip the new game. The general public could appreciate the fantasy, dungeon-exploring elements.

Unlike "Minecraft," where you can build, mine and customize your surroundings, "Minecraft Dungeons" is focused on exploring dungeons and seeking adventure. Players embark on short missions that can be completed in multiple sittings. Missions can be played alone or in a party of up to four people. Team members get several lives, meaning more chances to complete the mission, even if they are at first killed by dungeon bosses.

"Minecraft," which was released in 2011, is a huge moneymaker for its publisher, Xbox Game Studios, and its Swedish developer, Mojang Studios. More than 200 million copies of "Minecraft" have been sold to date, according to Helen Chiang, studio head of Mojang, which makes it one of the best-selling games of all time, alongside "Tetris" and "Grand Theft Auto V." In 2014, Microsoft bought "Minecraft" and Mojang for $2.5 billion.

More people are playing "Minecraft" while social distancing. Mojang said that in April there was a 25% increase in new "Minecraft" players joining the community and a 40% spike in multiplayer sessions, compared to March. People have thrown "Minecraft" graduation ceremonies and other live events in lieu of in-person gatherings.

"I won't say that it's a good thing that we have the Covid-19 situation right now. But I do think that the timing for the game is good. This is something that can help families have a fun time together," said "Minecraft Dungeons" executive producer David Nisshagen.

CNN