Thread: 2 symbols I get---Why and what can I do about them

2 symbols I get---Why and what can I do about them

Hello:

One or the other of these 2 symbols occasionally appear when I click on a link or try and save a picture.

The first is a tiny square containing an even smaller red square, a blue triangle and a green dot--always in the upper left corner of a blank screen. I've gathered this is an ActiveX Object icon. What does THAT mean and do I get it because of something to do with my computer or because what I am trying to view is for some reason unavailable? BOTTOM LINE; WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT?

The 2nd symbol I get is a small white square with a tiny red x in it. I don't recall the precise conditions when I get this; just that I do not get whatever it was I wanted. AGAIN, is this my computer or unavailability...or what? And also again, what can I do about it?

I'm running XP and MSIE 6.0

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    try going into the internet options>>>advanced and checking if you have java enabled.

Hi phishhead:

Appreciate your response.

I checked:

Under the heading "Microsoft VM" I see 3 check boxes:

Java Console enabled (requires restart)
    Java Logging enabled
    JIT compiler for VM enabled (requires restart)

Only the 3rd one has a checkmark. Is it essential the other 2 be checked? Or just highly recommended? Or what?

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

ok thats the one you want...then I would do a google search for the MS virtual Java...I dont think its on the update site anymore.

I don't quite get your answer. I understand about doing a Google search for the MS Virtual Java but "what's the one I want"? The MS Virtual Java?

What do I have now?

John

well MS did not put ms virtual java in xp so I would go for the most recent one..I personally use Opera browser that uses sun java so I don't have that problem

But what then is this Java Virtual Machine that I have? It came with Service Pack 1 for XP. I downloaded and installed that pack and it enabled me to play, for example, a little program I had called Psychedeliscope (a rapidly changing kaleidoscope of shapes and colors).

Do you think this Java Virtual Machine will play that file that is giving me the ActiveX Object icon (the green circle, blue triangle, red square). (I was at www.spinmaster.com and I had clicked on the link 'CatchABubble Demonstration') Or is my Java Virtuall Machine quite different from MS Virtuall Java?

John

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hi wumply:

i went to the link you provided
    the website has lots of flash macromedia

i went to "catch a bubble"
    its only a pic and the commercial is a quicktime file

i hate quic ktime because it messes up your settings

can you take a picture of your (the green circle, blue triangle, red square).

press print screen

open paintshop in accessories

paste image trim if desired
    save as a jpeg and upload it to this forum so we can get a clear picture

thanks
    egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Here you go.

John

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    You need Quicktime installed to view those .mov files.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

download the Free player
    Last edited by Reverend; November 19th, 2002 at 20:50 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Egghead:

Did you actually play the Quicktime file? I've Quicktime 6 installed but as you know all I'm getting is the ActiveX Object icon symbol from that www.spinmaster.com site.

Someone told me of a Quicktime test (at the Quicktime site) that tests for a damaged installation, but I could not find it. Any leads on how I locate it?

John

ok go to internet options>>>settings>>view objects and rt click on the quicktime or any other object in there that is damaged then go back to the site and it will prompt you to redownload the activeX component. also del your cookies before you go to the site, because it could be cached.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Originally posted by wumply
    Egghead:

Did you actually play the Quicktime file? I've Quicktime 6 installed but as you know all I'm getting is the ActiveX Object icon symbol from that www.spinmaster.com site.

John
    i dont have quicktime installed

it messes with my system

if i click on an mp3 file in internet explorer
    it takes me to a white webpage
    with a giant quicktime icon
    it will stay like that untill the mp3 is downloadedit then plays it

after i uninstalled quicktime
    i get a blank page when i try to play an mp3 on the web
    now i create a restore point and install quicktime only if its something i want to view
    after
    i use system restore to go back before installation

works fine like that

sorry if not much help

cheers
    egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    I managed to play the file by right clicking and "save target as".

Go to Tools > Internet options. On the General tab hit the Settings button.Then the View objects button.Right click Quicktime Object and select update.It will then connect to the Quicktime site and repair the damaged activeX control.
    Last edited by Reverend; November 19th, 2002 at 21:29 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

OK. Here's what happened;

SUCCESS:

I followed the path Tools > Internet Options > Settings > View Objects...that was as far as I could go because in the list of "downloaded program files that appeared, there simply was no QuickTime file or folder.

Then I went C:\Program Files\Quicktime\Updater.exe (which checked and said: "You don't need an update." Fine. I next clicked on the file called "Movie Player" which brought up the Quicktime player. I told it "Play" and it said "Some files are associated with other players" or words to that effect. It then asked if I wanted to change those files to be played by Quicktime. A bit desperately I told it "OK" and the movie clip played.

So then I went to the www.spinmaster site, right-clicked on the bubble demonstration link, clicked "Save target as." It downloaded the file in a flash and stuck it on my HD. From there Quicktime played it without dificulty.

So thanks Everybody. If you have managed not to get tired of me, I'd love some input on the following 2 questions:

1. But does anyone have an idea why I had to download it to my HD in order to play it?

2. And why was Quicktime not in "View Options"...I mean clearly it was on my HD and functioning?

This same situation happened earlier with Windows Media Player and a mpeg file on a site. Except that a few days after that, I was able to play the mpeg file simply by clicking on it at the site. (That is, I no longer had to download it to my HD first.) I've no idea what caused that change.

John