Thread: win2000 shutdown time

Question win2000 shutdown time

I have win2000 with sp3 installed. My shutdown time has gotten longer and longer - currently 2 to 3 minutes to shutdown.

On another web site, I saw a discussion of the same problem and the author had found an "event log" in a directory called "Application Logs" that consistently had an error message every time he shut down. (No responses on the web site at this time to problem)

I decided to try and look at my own "event logs" to see if I was encountering the same problem. I ran a search on winnt directory, but could not find anything called either "application logs - or - event logs" Ran the same seach on the c drive and got tons of 'application ...' directories.

Anyone know where I should be looking - or specifically where "error events" would be recorded during shutdown?

Tom
    Tom

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    You view event logs via administrative tools.

It's a while since i used W2K but i think application logs is,

Start > programs > administrative tools. Click on event viewer.
    Then click application logs.

Or,administrative tools may be in the control panel.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I remember a while back when I was using Win 2000 SP2, it would shut down so fast it puts Win XP's shutdown time to shame. Of course start-up time is another story.

Slow shutdown

This may work only if you are using Nvidia drivers.
    Got this from an old post.

Some people have noticed that they are experiencing a really slow shutdown after installing Windows XP Home or Professional. Although this can be caused a number of ways, the most clear cut one so far is happening on systems with an NVidia card installed with the latest set of drivers. A service called NVIDIA Driver Helper Service is loading up on start up and for whatever reason doesn't shut itself down properly. The service isn't needed and can also increase the amount of memory available to your system. Here is how to disable it.

1: Go into your Control Panel

2: Select Administrative Tools and then click on Services

3: Right click on the file "NVIDIA Driver Helper Service" and then select STOP.

4: To stop this loading up every time you boot up your PC Right click it again and select properties - then where the option "Startup Type" is shown - make sure it is set at Manual like we have shown in the image below.

thanks to the boys at activewin.com

Check if you have installed the Hotfix 329170 or something like that - that makes win2k sloooow to shut down - deinstall it and your'r back to speed

Ruben