Thread: Re the continuous uploads/downloads to/from my computer even when I aml not connected

Re the continuous uploads/downloads to/from my computer even when I aml not connected

Hello:

Let me add some details.

I have this program called Lanspeed and what it does is to show me on a bar graph EACH AND EVERY SECOND how many bytes or kilobytes are being uploaded or downloaded.

This goes on all the time--well, there are a few momentary breaks but only momentary. Mostly the amounts are under 1 kb with occasional exceptions.

It goes on even if I have not connected to the net with internet explorer and it shows expected download rates when I download some program from the net.

I am using cable.

My questions are:

1. what is causing this continuous upload/download...where's the download coming from?

2. Am I correct that it's not being stored on my HD? Does the data just spike the graph and then vanish into thin air? (The only records the program keeps are the daily and monthly upload and download totals.)

3. Why does it occur even when I am
    not online?

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    if I'm not mistaken it is a broadcast packet being sent just to say here I am and my IP address. Do you use a hardware/software firewall. This will tell you what is being sent and who it is going to. I'm sure some of the other members can be more specific may when Richard comes on he can explain it better.

Server God Administrator Richard's Avatar
    Do you have a network card?

If so you will get certain traffic being sent out through it

It maybe be looking for:

A DNS Server
    A DHCP Server

or someother "network" service

Or you might have one of your programs trying to make a connection to its internet webserver.

A messenging program for instance

Obviously when there is no interent connection it can't do this

Hope this helps

Richard:

You say "if there is no internet connection it can't do this." Since it DOES do both upload and download when I am connected to my cable provider but not "to the net through MSIE" am I then sort-of net-connected to some through my cable provider. I do have a network card.

And re phishhead's response, (he's gone now, right?) why would some site bother to send me a "here I am and here's my address" out of the blue WHEN I'M NOT EVEN AWARE I'm being contacted.

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    in a network environment each node on the network sends out a broadcast signal to update the dns table. since you are connected via cable think of it as a very large network. and with cable you are always on the network regardless if IE is open or not. also if you have anything set to auto update windows, IE, Norton, etc

Phishhead:

Thanks for your latest response...it has helped my understanding a lot.

John

Your situation may be the things suggested by others or it just might be something more sinister. If you are concerned enough to post to this forum then I suggest that you download the following programs to clean your system of potential problems.

Ad-ware 6

Trojan Hunter

OR

Swat It (anti-trojan software)

Make sure that your anti-virus software is up-to-date and then run a complete scan. If you do not have anti-virus software download AVG or Gladiator , run the update and run a full scan. Then run the anti-Trojan software and then Ad-aware. This process should find a virus, trojan horse, or worm and ad-aware will clean spyware from your drive.