Thread: Longhorn 4008 ROCKS!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Longhorn 4008 ROCKS!!!

This is my new OS.. simply put it rocks. It is not for the faint hearted, but it works really well. It is stable, solid and looks good. It needed tweaked which can be found in the optimization thread, and there are some programs that won't install correctly, but other than that it is sweet.

Can't wait till they release this officially.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Are you able to provide any more info?

Links? Screenshots? List of programs that won't install?

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    Come on BB...

where are the pics? How good is it? you mentioned:

It needed tweaked
    What do you mean?

Titanium Member

lynch hit part of the tweaks:
    http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...&threadid=4387

I must caution you all, this is alpha software, and is not intended to be released to the general public... but I read on another forum that it might have been released intentionally to throw the general public off the real path that longhorn is taking...

I mean what if they released this with some trivial updates, that will never go into the released of the project codenamed Longhorn..

Now, on to more interesting matters.

Screenshots:

http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?catid=1&id=1375

Techzonez reported on the screenshot phenomenon several days ago:
    http://www.techzonez.com/comments.ph...light=longhorn

Feast your eyes on that.

Below is an interesting site that outlines the road to longhorn with screenshots of some fake, and not fake builds. Unfortunately, they don't have build 4008 screenshots, but they do have some killer CD covers:
    http://www.etplanet.com/windows/longhorn/

Couple things I noticed. When I booted from the LH cd, it looked like windowsPE the preinstall environment Operating system. In fact the installation was so unique it reminded me a lot of linux, only easier... which shocked the crap out of me.. there were no extra installation options, put the key in, click ok, ok, ok and 10 minutes later Longhorn was installed.

The following post, that is linked to the Techzonez frontpage news, talks more indetail about the preinstall environment installation of Longhorn:
    http://www.techzonez.com/comments.ph...light=longhorn

Another thing I noticed, the sidebar was automatically installed, downloads work fine in Internet Explorer, it is much faster, the hard drive display kind of changed from the more strange looking green bars to a more basic XP look.

The theme of Longhorn as many of you may already know is called plex. It makes everything look really blue, from shades of light blue to extremely dark blue. Internet explorer looks like it has been blue dipped.

Longhorn also had windows media player 9 already installed, you just have to do the setup when you run it for the first time.

Couple of things I noticed about software installations:
    YOu have to run almost everything in XP compatibility mode, even some drivers require it, like anything from Creative...

The ASPI layer from adaptec has to be run in compatibility mode as well. Which is perfectly understandable as those products were designed for windows XP.

Nvidia advanced properties do not show up in Longhorn.. when you install the latest drivers, 43.00.. the Geforce option is missing from the advanced display properties... so no tweaking open gl, Nview, AA, overclocking etc... there is no tab present.

Longhorn is not for the average tinkerer.. it is really a way for MS to test the waters of new possibilities, and in fact I would chance to say that most of the features that are talked about in this release will not even make it to Beta, much less RTM. So in the end this is just a taste of the LH yet to be.

Any questions just ask, however i cannot supply you with a link to this, any serialz, etc... sorry

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    BB

Thanks for the info!!! Absolutely above and beyond what I was expecting!

Just wanted to know your general feel for longhorn. For myself, I'm still learning to tinker with XP Pro....

Thanks!

Titanium Member
    I heard the the theme is just a "placemat" - it will be changed when it's released.

Can't be sure how it will end up. I hope it is radically different. But based on their track record, it won't be.. because they want to ease users into new technology... like make it a seemless transition. If they changed it too much they would frustrate the general public.. remember OSes are designed for ease of use for the average user..

There are predicitions out there, on several sites, the wininformant site is the most notable, and the one with a solid track record for making spot-on predicitions..

I wonder how it will end up.. some say that MS may be changing the file system again, to a database format, and I tend to agree with that, looking again at the track record of MS, 95 FAT16 98 FAT 32, nt4.0, xp ntfs 5.0...

so it would seem that the trend should be maintained.. and with each release of the file system it has only made the OS that much better IMHO.

Titanium Member