Thread: Question on Multiple user welcome screen.

Question Question on Multiple user welcome screen.

On my pc at home, I have it set up with 2 users. Myself and a friend of mine. When I would turn on the coputer it would go to the welcome screen and I could click on my Icon to go into my "session" or if he was using it.. he would click on his to go into his session. Or say like I was on the computer and he needed to show me something on his "session". I would click on switch user and then click his icon and it would change to his. Then when we were done I would click log off on his and it would let me go back to mine right where I left it. All was good in XP world. but now....

Something has happened/changed and I dont know what.
    Now when I turn on the computer it asks for a password for Default user instead of letting me choose what user from the welcome screen. AND the worse part.. I can no longer switch back and forth between users anymore.

Any ideas what has happened... I went into the user options place and both boxes are still checked showing that it should be working but its not.

Any help would be great.. Im to the point right now that I am about to just Fdisk and start over.. I just hate to lose all my downloads and have to start over.

Thanks
    PsYcHiLL

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    when did it last work and what have you done since then. have you installed tweakxp or any other tweaking progs.

last time it worked was about 2 weeks ago and no tweaking utilities installed at all.

Have you tried to use System Restore? Go back to a know time when it worked like you want it to. Any changes that have been made during the 2 week time period ( or the amount of time the system gave you trouble ) will have to be redone as they will be rolled back by the restore point that you chose.

Give it a try and let us know........

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Sounds like fast user switching has been turned off to me..

To turn Fast User Switching on or off
    You must have a computer administrator account on a computer that is a member of a workgroup or is a stand-alone computer to turn on or turn off the User Fast User Switching feature. Fast User Switching is not available on computers that are members of a network domain.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
    Click Change the way users log on or off.
    Do one of the following:
    To specify that a user's programs remain running when another user logs on to the computer, select the Use Fast User Switching check box.
    If you select this option, programs do not shut down when another user logs on to the computer. For example, if you are typing a report and your child wants to check e-mail, you can log off using Switch User, the child can log on, check e-mail, and then log off. You can log on and return to your report without losing your place.

To specify that programs shut down when users log off the computer, clear the Use Fast User Switching check box.
    Programs automatically shut down when users log off the computer, and the computer will run faster for the next user who logs on.

Double check to see if fast user switching is enabled... If that fixes it your are done. If not, post again and I will try to think of something else.

Welcome to TZ.

Ok.. I have tried that already.

When I go to log off and then I click switch user.. i get a window that says this computer is buys or locked and requires a password.. yadda yadda...

the problem is.. my uers account it the default and Im not locking it that i know of....

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    The computer is in use and has been locked out, appears when it locks itself out, working in a Domain, since the domain control the user permisions. Have you joined a Domain?? or are you trying to run permisions from another pC???
    Also you might want to try this:
    Go to control Panel and Chose administrative tools, then select Computer management and select from the tree User and Groups management (or just Go to Start/Run and type MMC, and later add the user and groups management snap-in)
    Now check to make sure that the rights to the users are set up right, and that the accounts exist in there. Check also that the accounts you want to access are not locked