Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hanging on shutdown or reboot

Go to ** PC Pitstop ** and run the full test. One of the things that you will get is a list of the running apps. You will also get tips as to things to do to make your system faster and more stable...

Also try running the add ware apps I posted earlier in the thread.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Perhaps it's taking some time to clear the page file? Assuming you have this feature enabled (it is disabled by default).

Details here.
    Last edited by SupaStar; March 20th, 2003 at 09:14 AM.

Hi Rev,
    Yes I did, that was one of the first things I tried. I've searched and found a few reg tweaks and a couple of other ideas like the one you mentioned, but nothing seems to do it. In event viewer under applications I find this--

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1517
    Date: 3/19/2003
    Time: 1:14:17 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: BUD1200
    Description:
    Windows saved user BUD1200\Dan registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

OK Rev, This may be a problem although microsofts knowledge base articles say that this error should be ignored. Do you know how to go about finding the service that is responsible ? I understand what they mean here but how do I find the service that needs to be changed, ??
    You know it only hangs for 45 seconds and then the system reboots and it's fine. It's just that I know it's not supposed to happen. I had the reboot time down to about 50seconds total. Then this sh&t..... starts happening..
    AthlonXP 2400+
    msiK7T turbo
    FX5900 flashed to 5950U
    Audigy2ZS
    1gb pc 133
    XP home

By the way, I will try the pcpittstop idea to see if it shows me something else running, never thought of that...good one. and as for the page file stuff,,,I've allways had that set to clear the page file on shutdown..thats a great tweak. but doesn't apply..
    AthlonXP 2400+
    msiK7T turbo
    FX5900 flashed to 5950U
    Audigy2ZS
    1gb pc 133
    XP home

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by MrDak
    and as for the page file stuff,,,I've allways had that set to clear the page file on shutdown..thats a great tweak. but doesn't apply..
    I would disable that tweak if a fast shutdown is what you're looking for.

Conan just slips on in with the solution to a slow damn shutdown. soon as I undid the tweak and rebooted the second time she was fine. What do you know,,,,,,Thanks Conan dude for waking me up,,,,
    AthlonXP 2400+
    msiK7T turbo
    FX5900 flashed to 5950U
    Audigy2ZS
    1gb pc 133
    XP home

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Glad your problems are solved!

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Ahhmmm, not tying to take the shine off your victory but I'm pretty certain that's what I said to do

Originally posted by SupaStar
    Perhaps it's taking some time to clear the page file? Assuming you have this feature enabled (it is disabled by default).

Details here.
    Anyway, it's a good thing your problem got sorted out

oooooo, that's eeeeeeeewwwww, also.
    supastar, that is correct sir,
    you know I shoulda caught that. thanks

what I did was, ,,,a long time ago I applied the tweak. then just recently, I changed my memory around and set the paging file to 1 gig, to match my physical ram and I didn't think windows would take that long to clear\delete it at shutdown.. at least it's not a problem like some program hanging things up,,,,

Thank you for the help, Everybody!!
    AthlonXP 2400+
    msiK7T turbo
    FX5900 flashed to 5950U
    Audigy2ZS
    1gb pc 133
    XP home