Originally posted by Big Booger
    Have a read:

http://www.media-awareness.ca/englis...videogames.cfm

hehehe
    Okay CHILDREN, time to take a break!

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Ok, here is my anti-post to the post
    http://www.media-awareness.ca/englis...videogames.cfm
    According to many teachers in my life (including family) I have a tendency to oppose NOOO< I DON"TTTTTTTTT
    My best essay in university (*Studying ELI and MBA) is about video games, and about how it is an extension of their feelings. Whom is good, will be good, not matter how many, or which videogames he/she pays (Example A: ME) or social diusturbed, likely t be affected by any other reason in the world (EXAMPLE B: Columbine's guys)

Think about that, how many of you are sycopaths because or you rt parentls played pacman??
    MY father Played Pcman since he was a teen. Actually he was a champion on it. I usually finish any video game that I came acrooss. but you will say I am a pretty normal guy, working in the Net Admin department but aimed to Administration mainly. Can you say that of a persin that proudly finished 90% of the games he ever playd???
    Just a though. This could bring an endless topic.
    I think the weeked mind is weeked before a video game touches it (or anything else) and proper education is the best,a dn look a video games as ways to realease stress or ideas that we wouldn't release othersise, but not as mediums to provide killer ideas, or suggestions (as other might think)

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Honestly I think games can be healthy, if they are not abused..

I mean 14 hours per day playing video games is not healthy.

well 14 hours is nmot healthy. That is true. But anybody healthy cannot play 14 hours even if wanted. Where can you find so many hours in the day to fit that much video games??
    I mean, study, work, girlfriend/boyfriend, social life, etc. Can you fit 14 hours of play in a normal life day???
    I can't
    I barely can play 4 hours a WEEK

Students are the main target of that research. Now about older gamers, let's drop 14 down to 6-8.. that is still excessive, and as you point out, how does one have time for the other things. There are some who are seriously addicted to gaming and I think that is horrible.

Normal gaming 1-2 hours a day is more than enough, but with online gaming, it is really hard to get your thrill in after 2-4 hours hehehehe

So I ask you all, how many hours a day on average do you spend playing games? Me, it varies from say 1-2, up to 6-8 on the weekends, depending on what is going on in my life at the time. This weekend i spent around 4 hours playing rise of nations and Pro Driver (thanks reverend for the demo link). I beat rise of nations so I doubt I will play it again.

I really need to stop playing games, but in Japan, in the countryside, there isn't much to be doing..

I need to start fishing again!

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    My pattern is pretty similar to yours BB...1-2hrs a day...but not usually everyday...a few more hours on weekends.

But it's all relative. The last few weeks I've had exams...so naturally my gaming has gone down to 3-4hrs a week.

During holidays it tends to go up exponentially However I'll never turn down going out with my mates for a video game

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    I usually don't play that much. I actually find myself tweaking/organizing a lot more than playing games. When I get tired of the tweaking/organizing, I'll jump into a game until I get sleepy then go to bed.

I think that there are good/bad points of video game playing. Good points are that they do provide a stress relief as well as improving eye/hand coordination.

The bad point is when parents place thier kids in front of games so that the parents don't have to interact with the kids. I think this "lack" of guidance and interaction in the childs life is one of the leading causes for problems in society.

ok....I'm off the soapbox now....sorry....

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    anyone need some buckshot or rockets in the face. whew feel better now. No wait let me go frag some more.

phish is a 14 hour a day gamer LOL

phish is a 14 hour a day gamer LOL
    And that's with dial up.....watch out if he ever convinces his significant other for cable

I am a hardcore gamer that only has time for 4 hours a WEEK!!!, and they are usually in the weekend. I barely have time around TZ. I don't have time to study. I spend all my time deleting SPAM email from my inboxes. DAM SPAM
    I have to learn to organize my time.
    As stripe I spend a lot of time tweaking/organizing. Having such BIG drives mean a lot of stuff to move around, from I to D, from D to E, from E to G. And then again to I (C is too small, F and H are DVD/CD-RW)

Having such BIG drives mean a lot of stuff to move around
    I second that one. I have 3 120's that keep my attention pretty much constantly. That and trying to keep the server running just a little bit longer until I can get a new mobo and memory into it.

I can remember in college playing a TON of games for long periods of time. Now, If i try to, I get a pounding headache.

I can see why people want to play games all the time (it's a nice escape from reality) but with everyone, it's only good in moderation.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Then society wonders why kids today are getting fatter and more obese!! Leading to diabetes!!

Instead of playing Doctors&Nurses or Cowboy&Indians in the park, they play Sims and MOHAA:Spearhead

LOL, I think we need more Doc&Nurse time Ahh Childhood...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

My theory...

I am not going to let my daughter fiddle on computers/watch tv all day. She should be out playing with other kids. I figure that I'll introduce her to computers when she's....lets say....30

Doctors and nurses???? I never played that I might have an unhappy childhood. How could I miss such a basic game???
    I spend a lot of time in the computer, and I am not so fat (well, I am fatter than I should, but I blame food instead) and I am not crazy (though I have a sharp aim in FPS) and I am not an anti-social (though I can count friend with only one hand) and.........

J/K
    I think computers are good, and actually can bring out curiosity and learning process in kids, but like everyting in life, it has to be measured, because it can become similar to an obsecion. I would say, PC is great for rainy days when kids cannot go out and play