Thread: Upgrade Longhorn 4008 to 4015

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Upgrade Longhorn 4008 to 4015

This works. Tried and tested. Simply pop the CD in under Longhorn 4008, choose to upgrade, and you're all set. It keeps nearly all document and settings intact, and does a fine job upgrading.

It clearly states in the installation that in order to create an upgrade, you must have at least 4000 or higher build number.

Though I do encourage you all to do a clean install, as upgrading is always more risky than a fresh installation.

You cannot upgrade from XP, win2k, win2k3, 98/95 or ME.

Only from Longhorn and the build has to be higher than 4000.

One other thing, before jumping out there and upgrading, there is a reported memory leak in windows explorer, that has been reported to severely hamper memory performance, and slow the OS down.

I'd test it out on a fresh partition before going head over heels into this new build.

Am a little bit confused about your instructions on upgrading from 4008 to 4015.Do i need the 4015 disk to do this task?
    Perhaps I should explain what I did.Inserted the current 4008 disk and was able to do an upgrade.Then went to the Windows update site to try an update to 4015,but no go.The message said the update page was not accessible.
    It would appear that I need the 4015 release.Am I right?

cheers

wot20,
    First off welcome to TZ.

You will definitely need the Longhorn 4015 disk to perform the upgrade that I mentioned in my previous post. What I was saying was that you will need to have Longhorn 4008 installed, and then get your hands on the 4015 disk/iso in order to upgrade 4008.

No other builds of windows, including XP, can be used to upgrade once you have the LH 4015 cd.

But you can upgrade from build 4008 to 4015 with the LH 4015 CD.

Hope that clarifies.

By the way, windows update does not function in Longhorn as this is a completely unofficial release, that is Pre-Alpha.

Any more questions just ask.

Thanks for the welcome message.Yes its as I thought.Am in the process of trying to get LH 4015 but its so slow through Bitorent.Have also tried some ftp sites,but cannot log in as they are always busy.When I eventually get the iso I will attempt to do a clean install instead of an upgrade.
    My mistake in trying to do an update when LH is still in alpha.
    Thanks again for the advice.

cheers

let us know how you get on with it.

Good tips and advice. Thx Boogz

Glad to help when I can. I cannot wait till we see big major changes in the releases.. right now, it still looks too much like Xp with the Plex theme, and the sidebar.

I want to see it transforming and it is good to see how and in what ways MS developers change the OS.