Thread: Problems with XP

Problems with XP

Hello!:
    Before all, sorry for my english.
    I have a AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1800+ at 1566 Mhz with 256 MB RAM.
    First, I had instalated W98 SE and decided to instalate XP Pro. I did it. But, some weeks later the computer didn't started. It show me this message:

The file: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM doesn't exist or it is damaged. I tried some ways to repair it, but nothing... I had to instalate the XP again. It passed me 3 or 4 times. Finally I had to return to the W98 SE.
    Can the sort delay in turn off the computer (I have read something about this in the windows update page) be the responsible?

Anyone knows the solution for me? I would like to use XP again.

Thank you.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Firstly,
    Tinobaute welcome to TZ. We hope you find the answers you seek and keep coming back for friendly chats and tech related information and support.

In your case, how did you install XP Pro the first time? Did you do an upgrade from 98 to XP Pro, or did you format the Hard Disk and install XP on the formatted hard disk?

Second, To fix your problem have a look at the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q269/0/75.ASP

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it might be that your Memory is bad. You might want to try to test it. If you have spare memory, you might want to just exchange it. If not, you'll have to pick up some new RAM.

Also if you ever get that error again here is another fix I found:

This will get your system working, after use system restore to get your system back to how you had it.
    Boot into the recovery console from the CD, then choose your installation (usually C:\windows), you should end up at the prompt C:\ then type the following exactly as written, type,
    cd system32\config (press enter)
    ren system system.old (press enter)
    ren system.alt systemalt.old (press enter)
    copy c:\windows\repair\system (press enter)
    copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system
    (press enter)

exit (press enter then press it again to restart your computer)

When it restarts it will now boot up use system restore to return your recent files back if needed.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!!!

That should fix your problem temporarily. But you most like need to check your ram.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Also for dual boot remember to have a separate partitioon.
    It seems that you are installing XP over 98. Why do you want to do that? Unless you have an upgrade edition.
    If you could give us a little more info, I am sure we will be able to help you. Also check the info BB gave you.
    Also regarding the error you wrote it means that it cannot load a hive of the registry. This could be either a bad drive, or the registry wasn't properly writting while changing it. I had a PC with similar problem, just that software hive.
    If you have no important data on the drive, or if you have a backup, format the drive, and Install Windows XP directly (If it is not an update), if you have the update version, install Windows 98 and then XP. I would also install the updates of windows 98 from the MS web site, so you have a more stable base (W98) before installing XP, but that is only my opinion. Never tried both to see which is better

Thank you

Hello again:

Thank you for your replies, Big Booger and David "dehcbad25".
    I will bring you more info about the way I installated XP Pro the first time. It was like an update over 98 SE. However, in one of the later re-installations, I formatted the disk (NTFS) but the same message returned (Something curious that happened one time was: after the message returned I turn off the PC and turn on in a few seconds and... it started well... I didn't understand it).

Now, I'm using XP after install it like a "new installation" but over FAT32 system of files (like the first time). I hope that it works...

Big Booger, I don't know how to check if my memory is bad .
    I had no other problems. Your help is very good for my if this kind of message appears again in my screen.

I will keep you informated. From Tenerife, thank you very much!!!

Sorry I should have gave you a link for a memory tester:

Gold Memory Tester 5.07

I use that one. You'll need a floppy disk. Run the install.bat, it'll ask you to insert a floppy. Let it run, install on the floppy. Then leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.

That is a 30 day trial copy. should be more than enough time for you to try it out.

Any more help about anything let us know. Glad to have you as a member of Techzonez.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    BB that app will also check for memory that has been affected by static???
    I suspicious that my brother shorted out a memory stick with static (He doesn't take care when inside the PC) but we never did really check it out.

That app should tell you whether the ram has problems. If it is dead ram, it should let you know. It does a pretty thorough job in finding defective ram.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Just a note,I recently tried to upgrade a HP 533mhz with shared video ram and got the same message when windows would not start.Tried repairing and it worked for a while but the same thing happened even after a complete reinstall.Even got the latest bios.I thought it might be faulty ram also so I tried another known good stick and same thing.I eventually threw in a new motherboard which was compatible with the pc 133 ram originally installed and an AGP video card and it's actually a pretty quick machine.I believe in this case the motherboard was not liked by windows xp.Because your motherboard is a newer one since it takes an 1800+ processor I would update the bios anyway.BTW thanks for the mem tester BB.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

glad to help zipp. And thanks for the suggestions. I am sure tinobaute appreciates it. And it is information for us all to use just in case some day we are confronted with this error.

Hello:
    I used the memory test that Big Booger gave us and it doesn't say me that my memory is bad. It doesn't find errors.
    By the moment, XP works correctly... for a long time, I hope.
    Thanks to zipp51 for the suggestion, I think that it can be my problem.