Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central air - PC

Titanium Member

Central air - PC

It's hot. The fact that the air vent is located right in front of windows facing the sun makes it very inefficient. The window temp with the blinds drawn is well over 100°. What I have in mind may sound crazy.

I want to cap off the vent and run 80mm or larger hose up to my desk. I want to make a junction box, beside my PC, as a "waste gate" that supplies my PC with cold air while supplying my face with a cold breeze (adjustable). I can run 80mm hose up to the hole I cut out for my fan and remove the fan.

The temp at the vent is a very cold 55°, but by the time it makes it out of there, it is confronted by 100° heat from the windows.

Could this cause problems with my computer (temp extremes)?

My PC is running 10° hotter than usual now.
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 6th, 2003 at 23:27 PM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    lynch,
    This sounds like an excellent project. I am anxious to see how it turns out if you decide to take it on. I think it will work fine, but you might want to consider a filtration system. And set it up so that you can change the filter easily.

Just mount the hose over the intake of your case and make sure you have plenty of airflow. Make sure you are on the intake and the fan is blowing in the correct direction. One other thing,
    you could try moving the PC away from the window, or get some thick curtains to shade it from the sun.

Titanium Member
    I'm not next to the window. I'm at a 90 degree angle to it - 5 ft away.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    dont take the fan out where the hose will go just turn it around so it blows in. man talking about cooling that should work like a charm.

Titanium Member
    hehe - it's already blowing in. Well, with 55 or so degrees going in, i'm real curious what my case temp will be.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I actually put my PC in an interior room that is sheltered from direct heat. In the winter I move it back toward the sliding glass doors in my home as they let the cold air creep in and keep the temps down.

can you take some pics of the setup? This might be something others would like to try. Great idea.

Titanium Member
    I don't have the parts yet - well, all I need is dryer hose or something like it. I've got 2 boxes that would work to cover and seal the air vent and the other that will accept 2 hoses. Maybe i'll get fancy and make a butterfly valve on the end of the box - facing me - to direct the air.

OR!

I could just move this PC downstairs, which is 10 degress cooler. This is the warmest room in the house in the summer.

I would have to figure out which cable wire goes where though. There are 6 or 7 untapped cable hanging out of the side of the house. None of the rooms are hooked up - I think - not sure though.
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 7th, 2003 at 01:11 AM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    If you do end up venting the cool air directly in the PC you'll need too be carefull if the room is humid, you run the chance of condensation inside PC......just a thought

Titanium Member
    The weather up here is such - the hotter it gets the, dryer it is. But I did give that some thought - because of the temp difference and where the air is coming from. I have a few packages of desiccant I'll just toss into the PC.

It's 98 degrees here today./ I just pointed my thermometer gun at the window and the hottest spot is 116F.
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 7th, 2003 at 02:05 AM.

Titanium Member

I found some large irrigation tubing behind the house. Nothing is sealed yet. I have the end butted up against the computer - the other end into a wood box the I cut a hole out of and placed over the vent. With fan off it's 2 degrees warmer. Here's after and before: hehe

Last edited by lynchknot; June 7th, 2003 at 17:30 PM.

Good job, it's working already.

Titanium Member
    Game temps (MOHAA)

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I got scared there for a moment. I was thinking Holy %#$ 114 celcious
    I am currently running at 123 CPU and 80 case

Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    The weather up here is such - the hotter it gets the, dryer it is. But I did give that some thought - because of the temp difference and where the air is coming from. I have a few packages of desiccant I'll just toss into the PC.

It's 98 degrees here today./ I just pointed my thermometer gun at the window and the hottest spot is 116F.
    What state are you in? I am in Florida. It is 80 degrees.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    What state are you in? I am in Florida. It is 80 degrees.
    I'm in WA, Veronica.