Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unwanted ad

Unwanted ad

This ad is not the usual ad that my ad blocker stops. I'm hoping someone knows what it is and how to prevent it. Here is what I know.

It is a Mesenger ad, but that is all it says re its origin. I have Windows Messenger and Yahoo Messenger. I have AOL IM and ICQ for that matter.

It is a non-obtrusive ad with 2 versions. One advertises some online college. The other one, new to me for the first time today, was advertising something about healthy living...at least I caught the word "wrinkles" before I got rid of it. (Should have read it more carefully, but the persistence of the ad, even though infrequent, irritated me!!!)

It just appears...small, black type on a gray background in the middle of the monitor with a Close button. I don't remember what was on the mSize is oh about 3" x 6".

So if this is sufficient information for someone to realize where it's coming from and what, if anything, I can do to prevent the ads appearing, I WILL BE DELIGHTED.

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Try disabling Windows Messenger by Start/Run, type services.msc, scroll down to and double click on Messenger and disable it.

Read this Thread

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Thor gave you the RIGHT answer.
    Also, this happens to broadband users, so the question is why you are not using a firewall yet???
    Here is our opinions of the best Firewalls

By the way are Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger one and the same program?

John
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    nope completely different. but people are starting to spam the net using the messenger service in windows. just disable the service and you'll be fine.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I have no idea why that service is enabled by default in the first place.. normal users have no need for that..

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    correct me if I'm wrong but from what I know is the windows messenger like the novell broadcast service. which is used to broadcast over the network.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    Unfortunately, Win XP comes with the net messaging service which is enabled by default. If you have a router, these are normally blocked (with the net messaging service only works on the same ip/subnet segment and since once past the router, you are on a diff ip segment, the messages can't reach you), but if you don't have a router, you'll want to disable the message service...

but what would a regular desktop user need with this service enabled.. certainly users that needed it know exactly where to turn it on.. why not disable it by default?

Just a nice wonderful feature MS never thought of....

You're right that most people don't need it and probably will never use it (heck, may never even know of it's existance). They just thought that every computer will need admin messages sent to it from the network admin

I agree on a network, it might be useful. But then that is where the network admin could come in and set it up on a machine, perhaps write a script that lets the admin activate it remotely..

Imagine those poor souls getting those stupid popup adverts thinking it is spyware LOL

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    there are some services that use Messeger. For example symantec antivirus. Of course, again this is for networks.
    I know there are more programs or services that could use this service. Still you can always check the dependencies (Clcik on Properties) to make sure you are not killing anything else with it

True...always check dependencies whenever messing with services....I know of someone who disabled his RPC service by mistake :O

Funny thing, when we were playing MOHAA the other week, I removed my router and connected my pc directly to the cable modem. I do not kid you, I got roughly 5 messages in the time we were playing.

I feel bad for those people who don't know what they are are "deal" with them.

Well I have now selected "Disable" re Windows Messenger, but I'm baffled As to why my Sygate (free version) didn't stop the "University diploma" spam described in the virginia.edu link.

John (Wumply)

Actually, now that I think about it, My Sygate was set to "allow" Windows Messenger but I don't think the free version of sygate was ever intended to block spam.

John