Thread: Overclocking

Overclocking

The July issue of MaximumPC is devoted to overclocking. Since Big Booger was dreaming of stratospheric numbers from his next system, I thought this info would be of interest to him and other TZ members. From their testing they have come up with the 5 most overclockable CPUs and the 4 that "as they state may break your heart."

5 Best for overclocking:
    Athlon XP Thoroughbred 1700+
    Pentium 4 Northwood 1.8GHZ
    Pentium 4 Northwood 2.4 GHZ
    Athlon XP Thoroughbred 2100+
    Athlon XP Barton 2800+ (not their favorite)

4 Heart breakers
    VIA C3 (any model)
    Amd Athlon Thunderbird 1400 MHZ
    Pentium III EB 1000 MHZ
    Athlon XP Barton 3000+ (limited frequency scaling of the Barton core)

They suggest motherboards from Abit and Asus due to their built in overclocking capability.

Also mentioned is a technique for improving cooling. Most heatsinks lack a smooth finish on the base side of the cooler. They suggest using 800 grit moving to 1600 grit polishing paper attached to a glass surface. Use the polishing block in a figure 8 motion to evenly sand the heat sink. A mirror like finish will improve cooling efficiency.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    EFC thanks for that information. That will certainly prove useful if and when I finally upgrade my old Intel based machine. I am pretty sure I will go the AMD route, but am waiting to see if they change the form factor of the chip. I got burnt when intel went from the 423pin to the 478 and I don't want that to happen again.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    so I guess fastgame game me some good advice then. gonna be getting the 1700. over at the amd forum they have guys oc'ing the 1700 to 2200+. So if I ever get some good ram maybe I can see those #'s. Because right now I am so frustrated with this overclocking that I set everything to default, but ssshhh dont tell fastgame

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Originally posted by phishhead
    Because right now I am so frustrated with this overclocking that I set everything to default, but ssshhh dont tell fastgame
    My lip's are sealed

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I have a XP Thoroughbred 1800+ woth a PC Chips mobo. My best overclocking is .............. I don't have any option

PS: Rev, you should update the MSN emoticons to match the animated ones for MSN 6