Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: new hsf - high temps still

Titanium Member
    well, what i did increased the temp to 50c. I'll try your idea but maybe tomorrow or later. It's near 4pm and the sun is starting to come into the windows. It's going to get very warm in here in a few minutes.

I point my thermometer at the window and it's already 102F.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    wow, this post went long fast.
    Anyways, my temperature now is 48c. I have Xp 1800+ Step 6. MY Temp is very low now because I have the mule closed, so there is no writting to the disk (only minimal). But otherwise is around 51ºc
    Why so high, well remember that CPU fans are tempeature regulated. Even thought you put the fan to max, you are only putting the minimun rpm to max. If I currently put all my fans to max the temp of the PC won't change. Actually, I just checked, if I put the case fans up, the CPU fan goes down. All in order to reduce dbs.
    Now, my temp is low bacause in my house is so f#%#@ COLD The enviroment temp now is 68 F and my legs are cold. I feel like in winter
    Otherwise, lets supouse the A/C is lower, and the temperature is about 80, the fans will only spin a bit more and the temp is going to be 51 to 53 in load.
    Now, MY PC has 5 case fans, 2 of them are 120mm, and one of those 120mm is in front of the HDD. One fan is in the side, Blowing air almost directly to the AGP port (GeForce 4 Ti).
    The temperature of my PC cannot go down much more than that since I checked right now, and the fans blow cold air, except for the PSU that blows a bit warm air, but I think it is pretty good for a 520 W PSU.
    Note: I left the fans speed (HIGH NOISE) all the way up for 30 minutes to test and the CPU temp decreased from 48 to 45C, but after reaching 45 the CPU fan rpm keep decreasing from almost 5000 rpm to 4650. The case temperature hasn't change at all, always 25c (Diode located in the chipset), and the Diode located in the PCI area the highest registered is 18, and the lowest I reached now is 15, so there isn't much down I can go. I will have to frezee the room for that.
    This are my 2 cents.

PS note:
    Phis idea about putting a fan in the PCI slots (free ones) I don't think is a good one. The reason is that your intake fan in located at the bottom, so if you put a an at the back-bottom of your case, it will take the air that your intake fan blows out, reducing a lot the airflow. Best setup is:
    Air gets from the front and botom of the PC and flows to the back top of PC
    Here is a little drawing for the airflow. Excuse the simpliness, but I did it in 5 minutes Too lazy to look for something better in the web Airflow

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I think it's time we all went to water cooling, what do you say ? good I thought so.....I'll go first

Titanium Member
    What are you going to do Fastgame? Dust off your hookah you 've got in storage from the early '70's and install it? hehe

Dehcbad25 - that's exactly what i've got except I can't put a hole on the bottom front - the on switch and the USB are there. I did open up the bays under the CD drives. I'm going to cut a hole in my cover - it will have to be on the bottom in the middle.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I liked the idea of water cooling... so much so I tried it out... but things got a little fried and smokey... how much water are supposed to put in the case ??

Nah, just kidding... A major point to consider, CPU temps go above ambient temp... ie my system temp is 21oC and cpu is 32oC at 0oC my cpu would be 11oC

So, moral of story is to try an minimise your ambient temp or for closed-case systems, minimise in-flow air temps.

Another idea, might be to add some insulation (roof bats) inside the case, would keep the heat out during summer, and with good airflow keep inside cool.

ps. I think I need some for my computer room LOL, gets like 100-110F during summer

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Why don't you all bring the PCs to my living room??
    The A/C upstatirs is not working (we don't knwo why yet) so this days we have the A/C so strong that it feels like winter downstairs, but with strong A/C feels just right upstairs, otherwise woudl be too hot to sleep
    Also, I have an empty rack at my ofice. There is the ideal place. There is heavy Duty A/C equipment that constantly keep T to 67F and 45% humidity, plus is protected by a heavy duty batery back up (it provides up to 3 hours of power to all 12 servers, monitors, and 6 PCs in the Datacenter room) powered by 18 cars bateries, and if that is not enoght we also have an emergency generator that kicks in whenever power goes out. How is that for 24/7?

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Get a Lian Li Aluminum case they come with 4 high quality case fans,2 of which are front case intake ones and 1 is on the top of the case.About $100 without Power supply.The fans are not loud either.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Originally posted by zipp51
    Get a Lian Li Aluminum case they come with 4 high quality case fans,2 of which are front case intake ones and 1 is on the top of the case.About $100 without Power supply.The fans are not loud either.
    I was looking at these cases too, I bought a cheap $40 no-name case and I cant even screw PCI cards in, only Electrical tape LOL.

I heard Lian Li has some amazing cases and design. Do you know any good resellers for them? What would be a good case?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    one of our affiliates sells Lian Cases:

http://www.pcextreme.biz/main.html

$139-479.99US

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by cash_site
    I was looking at these cases too, I bought a cheap $40 no-name case and I cant even screw PCI cards in, only Electrical tape LOL.

I heard Lian Li has some amazing cases and design. Do you know any good resellers for them? What would be a good case?
    Have a look at this thread:

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...8637#post18637

When all else fails.

Linux Mint Debian Edition

Titanium Member
    What do you all think of ducting? I'm thinking of adding it to my HSF to draw air directly from outside the case. I have measured 140F coming off the top side of the video card - heading straight to the cpu. I reversed the flow of the case cover fan to blow out (it's located on the bottom middle) Sure enough, it's blowing 100F air out of it and the room temp here is 88F - I then added an inblowing 80mm fan to the extra drive bays, which sits level with the cpu- it's now 6 degrees cooler.

So i'm thinking I can get rid of, maybe, 2 fans (noise) - if I draw the air from outside of the case. The rear fan and psu fan should be enough to draw heat from HSF.
    Last edited by lynchknot; June 29th, 2003 at 21:45 PM.

After reading all of this, let me suggest a test before you spend any more money. It may be possible that you have a CPU that will run hot no matter how many fans you put in the case.

Take both side panels off the case and set up a room fan to blow directly onto the mother board. This will provide more air movement to the CPU than is possible with any number of case fans. If it still runs hot, just accept it and be prepared to buy another when this one quits.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    First off Lynch even though you are a tad on the warm side you aren't even close to the AMD max temp of 90c ! so chill

That CPU should be able too run at 60c forever but in an overclocked state you should get the temp as low as possible for stability sake

Also don't always trust the temp readings in bios or software...it's a known fact that the readings may vary between bios & probe versions.

Keep working on your case air flow