Thread: My server

Server God Administrator Richard's Avatar

My server

The freak "hot" weather we are having in the UK caused my Celeron 400 "server" to shut down after reaching a CPU temp of 69C

It had been on constant for 6 days with only the "heatsink" fan to extract the air out of the case

I did this to keep the noise down, however a couple of fans later and I have got the CPU temp down to 53C at the cost of more fan noise

Replacing it with a Duron 800 in a few days, so i'll have to think carefully about the "sound" to "cooling" ratio

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    if you have the funds, why not go with a water cooling solution or a peltier?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Big Booger
    if you have the funds, why not go with a water cooling solution or a peltier?
    A little too much for a Duron now isn't it?

not if he pumps that baby up to 1.8Ghz! Smokin heheheh

Water and Computers don't mix

I will never trust a Water cooler

No water then you'll have to have the fans.

soundproofing may help.

http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/mer...uct_Code=93040

I recommend that peltier air cooled solution, or something similar if water is impossible.

Fan noise can be a pain, my thoughts are: it depend if you have a box that has been modified and looks the part or you just have a run of the mill type of box.

If you have the run of the mill maybe you could get a fan with adjustable speed for the climate conditions.

Consider the layout of you server room, airflow etc, are you looking to expand (grow) is the current setup the best it can be?
    If you are looking at expanding then maybe consider airconditioning?? -more commercial than for the standard home user.

Other than that Big B's idea sounds like the way to go.

The sound doesn't really bother me or I have never really given it much thought, now I'm thinking about how I can reduce mine...cool.

Let us know what you do, I'm interested.

BJ

Originally posted by Bee-Jay
    Fan noise can be a pain, my thoughts are: it depend if you have a box that has been modified and looks the part or you just have a run of the mill type of box.

If you have the run of the mill maybe you could get a fan with adjustable speed for the climate conditions.

Consider the layout of you server room, airflow etc, are you looking to expand (grow) is the current setup the best it can be?
    If you are looking at expanding then maybe consider airconditioning?? -more commercial than for the standard home user.

Other than that Big B's idea sounds like the way to go.

The sound doesn't really bother me or I have never really given it much thought, now I'm thinking about how I can reduce mine...cool.

Let us know what you do, I'm interested.

BJ

Ok,,

The plan is

Transfer the Zalman Flower Heatsink I have to the server and then use the 90mm fan supplied attached to the fan bracket.

Its only cooling a Duron 800 so this should be fine

I have then purchased one of these

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...ahs_2d006_2dcm

for my main pc, which is a Athlon 2400XP, which should therefore be a good replacement for the Zalman Flower

The Harddisk will be directly cooled via an attached fan, or something similar, I will be adding 2 more hard disks so an alternative option might be required for that

I might transfer the server into a slightly bigger spare box i have, that has been "pax matted" but this might have an adverse affect on the heat for the slight reduction in noise it gives

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Richard
    Ok,,

The plan is

Transfer the Zalman Flower Heatsink I have to the server and then use the 90mm fan supplied attached to the fan bracket.

Its only cooling a Duron 800 so this should be fine

I have then purchased one of these

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...ahs_2d006_2dcm

for my main pc, which is a Athlon 2400XP, which should therefore be a good replacement for the Zalman Flower

The Harddisk will be directly cooled via an attached fan, or something similar, I will be adding 2 more hard disks so an alternative option might be required for that

I might transfer the server into a slightly bigger spare box i have, that has been "pax matted" but this might have an adverse affect on the heat for the slight reduction in noise it gives
    I've read some reviews about that fan and although it performed okay there was nothin really special about it except its looks.

http://www.ninjalane.com/display.asp...e=aero7&page=1

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Conan
    [B]I've read some reviews about that fan and although it performed okay there was nothin really special about it except its looks.

I,m using the Zalman for my XP 2800 Barton,and it's running in a LianLi P60 aluminum case with 5 fans, and this system is very quiet.However Conan is right it is not a super cooler although very good.The case fans and case deisign play a big role in keeping your server temps down,why not invest in an aluminum case also?Also on the LianLi case 2 front mounted fans blow across the hard drive.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.