Here's the scoop. I get automatic update notification from MS. I tell MS to go ahead and download and intall the updates. Say there are two updates for my computer, one for Windows and 1 for XP. They were MS # 823559 (32.3 kb) and 817606 (21.2 kb) They're pretty new; I learned of them just yesterday.

Well they downloaded quite rapidly. But they took forever, it seemed, to install and I was told to reboot after the install. However I did not reboot immediately (I just clicked 'cancel') and then when I did reboot, installation took place.

I cannot be completely sure that all this is EXACTLY what happened but I'll welcome any ideas...answers.

Could it be that when I clicked 'cancel' not much of the installl had occurred...but DID occur during a reboot (for that was when I recall it taking so long?

So help me understand why the install took so long? The download is an online process, but COULD it be the install is also...but I had always believed install was a computer process. But I was wondering if the install was an online process also and that perhaps their servers were busy.

This experience has happened to me several times. I've XP and a 1.7 ghz CPU

wumply