Thread: windows ME continually locking up...

windows ME continually locking up...

I have a computer running windows ME that I have had problems locking up since day one...I have wiped the hard drive numerous times, and reloaded...to no avail, it will lock up at any situation...I'm running an AMD 1200, on an ASUS board with 512 megs ram...help...

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    The only advice I can give you is to search for the latest drivers for all your hardware. Unfortunately ME is notorious for behavior like this. You should try Windows 2000 or XP.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    along with the drivers,
    do you have a list of hardware? Could be a conflict?

Also what applications do you have installed?
    I have ran ME on two machines a couple of years ago. I had to tweak it quite a bit, but did manage to get it quite stable. Most often it screwed up because I installed 3rd party apps that did not like ME.

Also there was a few times I had hardware conflicts. ONe time in particular it was a video card. It was just incompatible with ME.

me locking up

I have tried tweaking, helps some, I had so much problems with this puter, I gave it to my Daughter, she doesn't have much software on it but still locks up...I'm running an nividia 64 meg, I'm going to try Win. XP...thanks guys...troncor

I have ran Win ME for a few years. When it locks up for me I reboot and go into
    Safe Mode. I thiink the hot key for Safe mode is F8 When it is in safe mode I go to
    help and search for keyword "restore". I hit the restore link in help and it will allow me to restore ME to an earlier date. Nice feature. That ususally works for me. I wish 98 had that feature.
    mcukmail

Oh yes, Cleaning registry and files with a utility called easy cleaner will help ME run
    better.

I Find That When I Run WinMe The Best Thing Is To Kill System
    Restore/pcheath And All Of That Stuff. Infact Some Trojans/virus'
    Save Them Selves To The Restore Folder So That A Scan Cannot
    Remove them.
    Last edited by repressedeath; October 25th, 2004 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Me to WinMe
    Its Always Fun To Rip Apart Bills Software