Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep Peer Guardian Up-to-Date

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    [
    I wonder if there is a program out there that will send a bounce back packet to IPs that try to connect to me. I want to cause them as much trouble as they are causing me.

Anyone have a program that does that? [/B][/QUOTE]

This may be what you are looking for it's called NetLabs NetLabsDWNLD

NetLabs 1.4 is a multithreaded Windows 95/NT Winsock compliant application that has the following features: Finger service, WhoIs service, Ping, Traceroute, 'Parallel Trace' (new feature!), DayTime, PCs clock synchronization, Quote of the day, DNS lookup, Port scan and more.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Titanium Member
    I thought my firewall is supposed to make my PC invisible, "stealth" If I sent packets back won't they see that there really is a PC at that IP?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Of course they will be able to see your IP, the Peer Guardian simply blocks them from viewing your shared files. AFAIK they still know your IP address, that is how they connected to you in the first place.

As for your firewall, it doesn't entirely make you invisible. It just prevents people from accessing your PC via your IP and the ports that allow connections in and out AFAIK. I could be wrong about this and if I am, I appologize.

THanks Zipp, I'll give that program a looksee.

DOWN WITH THE RIAA!!!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Well BB, you are starting to get me hooked into Filetopia, but is it compatible with the Kazaa networks, ie does it have the user base and files like Kazaa ??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    Back to the discussion about peer guardian....

has anyone tried accessing the database update site? I think it's going to be awhile before there's another update....they're having bandwidth issues

@ cash_site:
    Filetopia is much more than kazaa. It is more like IRC, but with a Kazaa search function so that you can search for files on filetopia.

It's not as extensive as kazaa, but then there are not as many fake files, virii etc.. as kazaa either. And you have the added benefit of privacy and anonymity.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

@Stripe
    And about Peer Guardian,
    That site I listed is the only place other than the Peer Guardian website that has a list of updated IPs. It is still available as far as I can tell. Hopefully IP can have an autoupdate IP feature, so that as new IPs come out, they are automatically stored in the Peer Guardian APP, kind of like NAV does with auto virus updates..

If I find any other sites that list updates for Peer Guardian, I'll let you guys know.

I just noticed something and I want to pass it along.

I use both peer guardian as well as placing the IP ranges in Sygate.

I've noticed that Peer Guardian still blocks IP's that get through Sygate. So to answer this question from Conan:
    I don't use Peer Guardian but I have copied all the IP ranges to block into Sygate. What do yo think Boogs, is that good enough?
    I would say no. It appears that they update the Peer Guardian database more frequently than they do the Sygate firewall list.

Titanium Member
    I think there is something wrong with my PG - it has not blocked a single IP and i've had it on a long time.

Have you updated it to the newest version?

I went for weeks without a single block, then all of a sudden wango tango, there went my mango, they started smacking me around like Mike Tyson beating down Pee Wee Herman.

Titanium Member
    I'm using PG version 1.98b

They may not be looking for you......yet

If you also placed the IP's in your Firewall, they are blocked before they even get to Peer Guardian.

Titanium Member
    I don't have any IP blocks in Sygate because it decided to hide from my tray again - so I reinstalled and forgot to add IP range. I should be getting, at least, double-click showing up. What are some sites that use double-click - so I can check this?
    Last edited by lynchknot; August 13th, 2003 at 16:33 PM.

What are some sites that use double-click - so I can check this?
    LOL....someone who wants to be hammered by companies.

Titanium Member
    lol - Well, I would like to see it work - if i'm going to leave it on, using resources, I want it to work. So far, not one single block - makes me believe it's not on - or maybe it's not set up right.

*edit - also, i'm wondering why PG is still using an incredible amount of CPU (average 70-90) - I though that was supposed to be fixed.
    Last edited by lynchknot; August 13th, 2003 at 20:45 PM.

, actually, I haven't been getting any hits either lately. I left it on for two days now, and nothing.

So I wouldn't worry about it. they have over 60 million IP addresses, that some change rather frequently, to choose from..

Imagine if each user had 4 Ip addys to use, that'd be 240 million IP address to scan.. quite a few.