Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i uninstall or overwrite sp2 beta?

can i uninstall or overwrite sp2 beta?

i installed build 1051 slipstreamed into XP install disk .. since it registers sp2 i cant intall patches, like the RPC one that protects from the lovsan worm.. so i would like to go to sp1a.. anybody know a way besides formatting?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi t_p and welcome to Techzonez, I don't know why SP2 would keep you from installing patches but i don't have SP2 so what the heck do I know..

If you don't want to format then an XP repair should take care of it for you, then install SP1 after the repair.

thanks for the welcome.. ya that may be the call.. or i may just keep stalling... i know sp2 final isnt due out til the end of the year.. but i might be able to hang..

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    So your saying that with SP2 installed you can't install patches, or at Windows update it just won't scan to see what updates you need because it doesn't reconize SP2 ?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I am not sure, but I think system restore is a way to restore your machine pre-Sp2 without having to reformat.. though there may be other ways.

And this just depends on if you have system restore activated, how much space you have made available for sys restore etc...

It is worth a shot, try to roll your PC back to the day before you installed SP2.

thats the thing.. i installed XP with sp2 slipstreamed into it.. i knew better but thats what i had on hand at the time.. didnt think anything of it til i couldnt install the RPC patch...

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    What happens when you go to Windows Update?

it grabs a few updates and then gives me an error when it tries to install them...

The only other thing you could try, and I highly doubt it will work, is to get a hold of a slip streamed XP CD with SP1, and run a repaired installation...

But then I doubt it will work, so it may not even be worth the effort.

Most likely you will need to reformat.

ya.. oh well.. thanks for the thoughts... i will probably ride it out for some time still... i wouldnt mind trying to a newer beta of sp2.. i found 1213 but it was corrupted i guess..

seeing as it was slipstreamed, I am not 100% sure, but is SP2 listed in the add/remove programs section?

SP2 removal

nope not listed

two options as you stated.

wait it out, or reformat. Guess that's the way the OS with Sp2 crumbles.

You cant uninstall sp1 or sp2 if you installed it thru the slipstream method, thats why i install sp1 and 2 after normal install.
    If you installed sp1 or 2 on their own you can "uninstall" them only by using system restore or goback, if you had goback installed prior to.
    Otherwise its format time again!

yup.. i am just chillling with my slipstream for now.. no time for formats.. oh well..