Thread: Shared network files problem

Shared network files problem

I'm using windows Xp for my hown network. I'm using one main computer and the rest is connecting to the internet through it. On my network places there is an map named Shared Documents(main computer). I can acces it from any other computer on the network without any problems, i can also acces shared files on other computers on the network. But as soon as i go to my network places and then open Shared Documents (main computer) It says Explorer.exe has caused an error and has to be shut down and the window then closes. It only happens with that map.. I can however view whats in the map if i go through my computer >> C: >> Documents and settings >> All users >> Shared Documents. I tried that and deleted the entire map (including some hidden files). THen i tried opening the empty map through My network places and then it crashes again...
    I have no idea what is causing these crashes.. Does anyone else have an idea?
    Any help is greatly appreciated

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Welcome to Techzonez.

First easy option to try is Start > Run,and type in sfc /scannow make sure you leave a space between sfc and /

That will scan for any corrupted or missing system files.During the scan it may ask for the XP CD,so have it on hand before running the command.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

I used the sfc /scannow command and i inserted my windows xp Cd. It started scanning for about 15 minutes.. and now.. nothing..

I haven't mentioned yet i had just recently installed windows xp Sp1 from a Cd without archiving the files. Then i used an system restore to before installing the service pack.. Could that have anything to do with my problem?

Originally posted by krisguo
    Then i used an system restore to before installing the service pack.. Could that have anything to do with my problem?
    Yep possibly. Reinstall the SP1 to see if that fixes it.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I get the same sort of problem too. If I try to click on NetworkPlace -> SharedDocs for the same machine, the window hangs, then goes into "not responding" then If i close the window, explorer.exe crashes and I have to restart it using task manager

Actually happens with all shared folders on same machine. Also, I have another XP machine on network, I have shared a couple of DIRs, when I try to access them from another computer, I get a prompt box asking for password/username for $IPC share ??

Does anyone know of these things? thx

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Ahh i hadn't mentioned yet.. I removed the service pack1 from windows because i was having that problem. I noticed it after i installed sp1 so i decided to try to remove it..