Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing XP on a formatted 98 box

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i was referring to 400mhz as a general giudline as i have no idea what the computers specs are.

Can you post some details omn your computers setup?

Motherboard, cpu memory etc...

Youcd-rom sould boot fine and i need more info to diagnose the problem.

Are you running scuzzy?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    May I put a word from my own experience??
    I have a WXP CD that was giving to my by the same guy that gave HEx his, and it won't read the i386 either. It is one of this X in 1 CDs.
    This is because the directories are forwarded, so there can be multiple copies of one OS in a CD. Also, I found browsing the CD in another windows machine that there was a file that I had no luck copying (and reading) in that folder, which caused every instalation to fail in the middle. I recomend in that case to get another copy (or re-burn it)
    If not, get another version. There are others that work great.
    I had a valid CD Key, but no OS CD, so I got one, installed, and then upgraded with the Key I had, so at the end I have the same that the PC should had installed
    Also, as mentioned, you cannot run setup.exe in a DOS prompt. You will get the error that HEX got.
    Viper got it right, the file is winnt.exe located in the i386 folder of the CD drive.
    I know this because I battled with an XP instalation for weeks. BTW I am using that machine now that I re-installed XP and had so many problems.

Hi again everyone,

I gave up on XP and installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 with no problems. Being this is my seconday box and I'll be using it basicly to learn about networking and networking apps, I really just needed an OS on it. I really appriciate al the help I've receive though. That, the willingness to help, and the overall knowladge of the group is the reason I've stuck around this forum and plan on sticking around.

Thanks again and see you around,

Hex