Thread: Hotmail and Mailer Daemons

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Hotmail and Mailer Daemons

This is the Postfix program at host mail.e-lan.net.tw.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
    below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the message returned below.

The Postfix program

I've been getting a lot of these type messages in my outlook express. Now none of the addresses that these are being sent to are listed in my contact list. I don't even know these addresses.

I have ran an online scanner for virii, and am running NAV now to check for virus activity, but the online scanner came back negative for infection, and NAV is 97% finished with no infection present thus far..

I am wondering why in the hell am I getting these messages??? When the addresses that are bouncing back to me are not in my address list, have not been sent by me, etc...

Any ideas?

I think it might be that sobig virus:

[email protected] (Mail Delivery System)

To :
    MY EMAIL ADDRESS @hotmail.com

Subject :
    Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

Date :
    Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:24:49 +0800 (CST)

Attachment : document_all.pif (48k)

Not sure though....
    Last edited by Big Booger; August 29th, 2003 at 13:31 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You are correct. It doesn't mean that you have the virus, but someone that has you're email address did. The worm begins spoofing all the addresses it comes across and replicates. It was sent to your machine in the hope that you would open the attachment thinking it was actually a reply to your mail and it would then replicate and spoof all the addresses from your address book.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    cheesy peckerwoods.. I wished they'd scan their PCs more often for virii.. I bet it was my mom LMAO...

rik hit it on the head.

The first day of Sobig I was receiving a lot of the virus emails and then I received many more of 'your email contained a virus and has been removed" or some such from addresses i've never heard of from all over the world. I even received one that warned of reporting me to my ISP if I didn't 'cease and desist'.

I would think that many address books with my addy got infected and even more so would be a corporation that got infected thus the strange, foreign addys.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I got around 2 e-mails of the same sort. The thing is, if I did send those e-mails then there should be a copy in my sent items folder. This also happened a lot with my Yahoo web based e-mail address, it's a Spoofer!