Thread: Buggy Pop-UP

Buggy Pop-UP

Hi:

I have an excellent ad blocker (Pop-Up Stopper) that works 99% of the time. But recently I've been getting an ad with the MSIE big E icon at the top...the ad is for E Term Life Insurance or the National Guard. AND it only appears when I minimize the small ICQ window that lists my contacts. Somehow it is getting around my ad blocker.

I cleaned out all cookies and rebooted and this time the ad did not appear...but that happy state lasted less than 24 hours. This morning it was back.

I'd appreciate suggestions as to things I can try to kill this d_____ ad. Has anyone else run into it?

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Which add blocker is it? You may have to report it the the add blocker maker to see if they have a fix.

It's called Pop-Up Stopper from www.panicware.com.

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Sounds like an ICQ adPopper. May be wrong, but if this only happens when you use ICQ and does not happen when you use MSN 6 or something else than yes it is written for ICQ. Uninstall ICQ and re-install after a reboot. Do you know how to edit the registry for ICQ? It may be necessary to edit the registry as some of the ICQ poppers nest a little code inside the egistry that can be safely deleted. Editing the registry is tricky if you have never done it before. Make a backup of the registry if you plan on editing it.

MSNwar:

Knowing I have a registry backup, I feel pretty confident going in there. But can you give me any clue as to what I would be looking for...what would I ask the registry to search for...ICQ to start and then what...MSIE and/or the name of the ad (i.e. E Term or Nat'l Guard)?

wumply