Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Join RIAA Boycott

RIAA targets students in new file-swapping suits

By John Borland, CNET News.com
    Friday, October 29 2004 10:08 AM

The Recording Industry Association of America filed on Thursday another round of lawsuits against alleged file-swappers, including students on 13 university campuses.

The 750 suits come just a few days after Internet researchers released a study that found peer-to-peer traffic had remained constant or risen up to the early days of 2004, despite the pressure of recording industry lawsuits.

But the RIAA said its lawsuits were helping build a foundation for the growth in authorized music services such as iTunes, Napster and others.

"In order for legitimate services to continue their growth, we cannot ignore those who take and distribute music illegally," RIAA President Cary Sherman said. "There must be consequences to breaking the law, or illegal downloading will cripple the music community's ability to support itself now or invest in the future."

The music labels' trade association is a little more than a year into its strategy of suing individual file-swappers for copyright infringement, a campaign it hopes will sharply curtail the rate of MP3-swapping on networks such as Kazaa and eDonkey.

The lawsuits have dramatically raised awareness of the legal problems with trading copyrighted files online, and some reports have found steep decreases in the number of people trading music.

A recent study by NPD MusicWatch Digital found that the proportion of MP3 files on people's hard drives, as compared to music formats used by Microsoft or Apple Computer software, was falling. Analysts said that people were still downloading MP3s quickly, but were deleting them even faster from their hard drives--possibly a sign of fear over the record industry lawsuits.

The recent peer-to-peer study was written by researchers at the Cooperative Association for Internet Data Analysis at the University of California, San Diego, along with several other universities. It found that a full analysis of peer-to-peer traffic, including protocols that masked themselves as Web traffic or were otherwise difficult to find, found that aggregate file-swapping traffic had not declined between August 2002 and January 2004.

"We find that, if measured accurately, P2P traffic has never declined," the researchers wrote. "Indeed, we have never seen the proportion of P2P traffic (on networks) decrease over time...in any of our data sources."

But the study did find that traffic patterns had shifted. As earlier reports have shown, the FastTrack network used by Kazaa had decreased substantially, while BitTorrent--a program used widely for very large files such as movies or games, rather than individual songs--had grown considerably.

The RIAA declined to comment on the study.

The latest round of RIAA suits brings the total number of people sued to 6,191. The record industry association also said that it had filed new suits against 213 individuals who had previously been sued as unnamed "John Does," after finding their identities through the litigation process.

The details of that process are still being worked out in some cases. Earlier this month, a court in Philadelphia ruled that the RIAA could issue subpoenas for the identities of anonymous file-swappers, but those people must be notified by their ISP of the RIAA's action within seven days.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Movie industry to sue file sharers

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Taking a cue from recording companies, Hollywood movie studios are preparing to file copyright infringement lawsuits against computer users it says are illegally distributing movies online, a source familiar with the studios' plans said Wednesday.

The lawsuits will target movie fans who share digitized versions of films over peer-to-peer networks, with the first wave of litigation planned for as early as Thursday, according to the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Like the recording industry, which began suing individual music file-sharers last year, the movie studios plan an ongoing litigation campaign, the source said.

The Motion Picture Association of America, which represents the major film studios, declined to comment Wednesday. But the organization issued a release saying its chief executive would be making ``a major announcement regarding illegal file sharing of motion pictures on peer-to-peer networks'' early Thursday.

The movie studios were still finalizing how many lawsuits would make up their initial filing, but it would probably be around 200 or so, the source said.

Videotaped copies of films in theaters often are digitized or burned off DVDs and then distributed on file-sharing networks.

The MPAA claims the U.S. movie industry loses more than $3 billion annually in potential global revenue because of physical piracy, or bogus copies of videos and DVDs of its films.

The MPAA doesn't give an estimate for how much online piracy costs the industry annually, but claims the health of the industry is at stake as the copying and distribution of movies online continues to grow unabated.

Along with the recording industry, movie studios have tried to shut down companies behind file-sharing software through litigation with little success.

The movie industry has also tried to battle piracy by running ads in movie theaters and elsewhere designed to dissuade people from file-sharing films by stressing the risks of identity theft and liability.

Up to this point, the studios have stopped short of taking legal action against individuals.

My business is going down.

I dont know how long ago this took place but i work in a music store and sales here have been great so i dont know whats going on with the boycott but it hasnt hurt sales here.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Stevan,
    People in your area are morons or are oblivious to the corporate greed and devousness that make up the RIAA. Every dollar or yen or whatever currency spent in your music shop, is another dollar to line the pockets or the music robber barons of the 21st century. You should be proud that your area is full of such idiotic and out of touch people.

They don't care that the RIAA pays pennies on the dollar to artists, locks them into unfair contracts, tells them what songs are acceptable and what songs will make it on an album, how to dress, when and where to perform, and so on...

Not to mention these frivilous lawsuits against children and the parents, that target the poor and disinfranchised... It is loathesome to think that no one cares about what companies like BMG, Sony, Virgin and so on are doing, and how they've banned together under the RIAA to attack their potential customers...

Maybe if the knobs in your area were to wisen up you'd be out of a job?

But...

Well i dont know. I know my mom deals with Bmg Wea Fonovisa sony and many more companies. We buy the music from them and im not to sure on what the RIAA is all about i tried to click on that link in the first post but it sent me back to tech zonez. Well the only big hit that we have taken in the past few years in the internet. All of our artist that we distribute are mexican artist. And i dont know what they pay them but when they show up at our store in there BMW and Mercedes with there Stripper/Model girl friends or wives then makes me think thay arent being shorted out on the money .

sorry if subject got off hand but my mom isnt really a moron or idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevan
    I dont know how long ago this took place but i work in a music store and sales here have been great so i dont know whats going on with the boycott but it hasnt hurt sales here.
    I believe you that there has been no impact to music sales by boycott efforts. This is a very long thread but somewhere in it you will find a post by me that stated the war was over and that the RIAA had won. There was a period of time when a strong boycott with loss of revenues to RIAA may have made a difference. It did not happen. The RIAA found that they could be bullies, thugs, and general creeps, without consequence. The lawsuits are paying for legal cost and are keeping the issue in the press.

I continue to post news to the thread to focus on the larger issue. I long ago predicted that the lawsuits would move to movies, then to software. Stick around. People who think they hate Microsoft now should stick around. Wait until they start suing over illegal copies of Win.

The difference is that people have a place to go. Linux will become bigger when it happens.

The thing about a boycott is to be effective it has to catch on like a plague.. once enough people wake up and take on the issues (providing they care), then it can have a huge effect and change things...

But with today's braindead convoluted tards it's just not going to happen. In the 60's and 70's the RIAA would have been crippled...
    Last edited by Big Booger; November 9th, 2004 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    I believe the only leverage that individuals have in the RIAA/file sharing arena, is a boycott of music CD's. With that in mind, I pledge to my fellow TZ members that I will not purchase a music CD for a period of six months or until the RIAA fully retreats from the harassment tactics that it is currently using. Join me by adding a post saying "ADD ME TO YOUR LIST".
    DAMN STRAIGHT, add me to your list

Anti-Piracy Suits

I told you this was coming. Software is next.
    Nov 16, 1:22 PM (ET)
    By GARY GENTILE

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A trade group representing seven major movie studios filed a first wave of lawsuits against individuals they say are offering pirated copies of films using Internet-based peer-to-peer file sharing programs. The Motion Picture Association of America announced the federal court suits Tuesday, but did not say how many defendants were sued or where the lawsuits were filed. The group also did not immediately make available a copy of the complaint.

The lawsuits seek injunctions against the defendants. The copyright law also provides for penalties of up to $30,000 for each motion picture traded over the Internet, and up to $150,000 if such infringement is shown to be willful.

The MPAA said it would also make available a computer program that sniffs out movie and music files on a user's computer as well as any installed file sharing programs.

The MPAA said the information detected by the free program would not be shared with it or any other body, but could be used to remove any "infringing movies or music files" and remove file sharing programs.

The trade group said the program would be available for the Windows computer operating system on a special Web site established to educate consumers about copyrights. The name or exact nature of the program was not described Tuesday.

"Many parents are concerned about what their children have downloaded and where they've downloaded it from," MPAA president and chief executive Dan Glickman said in a statement.

The trade group said it would also join with the Video Software Dealers Association to place educational materials in more than 10,000 video stores nationwide. The materials will include anti-piracy ads that are also playing in theaters.

The trade group said that the lawsuits, together with software and educational programs, are necessary tools to fight the small but growing number of films that are available on the Internet, often before a movie has even opened in theaters.

welll you guys can add me..... they have shut down so many sites during this year.. its actualyl very disappointing.. as far as the question of sales and why they are down.... i dont think thee are many good songs coming out at the moment...
    Cheers,
    Bringing The Humanity Back Into Computing

I told you this was coming. Software is next.
    Nov 16, 1:22 PM (ET)
    By GARY GENTILE

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A trade group representing seven major movie studios filed a first wave of lawsuits against individuals they say are offering pirated copies of films using Internet-based peer-to-peer file sharing programs. The Motion Picture Association of America announced the federal court suits Tuesday, but did not say how many defendants were sued or where the lawsuits were filed. The group also did not immediately make available a copy of the complaint.

The lawsuits seek injunctions against the defendants. The copyright law also provides for penalties of up to $30,000 for each motion picture traded over the Internet, and up to $150,000 if such infringement is shown to be willful.

The MPAA said it would also make available a computer program that sniffs out movie and music files on a user's computer as well as any installed file sharing programs.

The MPAA said the information detected by the free program would not be shared with it or any other body, but could be used to remove any "infringing movies or music files" and remove file sharing programs.

The trade group said the program would be available for the Windows computer operating system on a special Web site established to educate consumers about copyrights. The name or exact nature of the program was not described Tuesday.

"Many parents are concerned about what their children have downloaded and where they've downloaded it from," MPAA president and chief executive Dan Glickman said in a statement.

The trade group said it would also join with the Video Software Dealers Association to place educational materials in more than 10,000 video stores nationwide. The materials will include anti-piracy ads that are also playing in theaters.

The trade group said that the lawsuits, together with software and educational programs, are necessary tools to fight the small but growing number of films that are available on the Internet, often before a movie has even opened in theaters.

Obviously instead of using the technology they want to delete it? What the hell is up with that?

I fully support an ISP fee for downloadable content. Imagine if at the ISP end these corporations took in even 10 cents per customer.. per month...

What a bunch of morons.

use bittorrent. How are they going to stop that? They only seem to know about kazaa.

Well the bad thing about bittorrent is that is broadcasts your IP to every node you connect to.. But the good thing is they cannot see your "share" only the file you are currently leeching.

But as I only use it for games demos and freeware, movie trailers, and other free content, I don't worry

Bronze Member
    [size=1]The MPAA said it would also make available a computer program that sniffs out movie and music files on a user's computer as well as any installed file sharing programs.

This would be a program you would 'willingly' download or what? It says that parents could download this program to see what thier kids have been downloading. How long do you think it will be before they start 'giving' this away with free java games or apps? Spyware! Ahhh

sounds good. i'm too broke to buy cds anyway.