Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Join RIAA Boycott

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    RIAA sues hundreds more over swapping
    LOS ANGELES - The recording industry has filed copyright infringement lawsuits against 761 computer users, the latest round of litigation in the record companies' effort to stamp out unauthorized trading of music online.
    The bastards are at it again.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    How much is it costing them per suit? I wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    How much is it costing them per suit? I wonder...
    1. Not nearly enough.
    2. Not to mention the shirt and tie.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

RIAA and DMCA loose one. Judge rules against them in their suit against Charter Communications. Charter Communications has filed a motion in St. Louis, Missouri, to block the RIAA's requests for the identities of about 150 Charter customers in the St. Louis area. So far Charter is the only major ISP that has not provided the RIAA with information concerning its members.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Humm, I better change ISP them

'Bout time someone got it right. Who cares what their motives are!

love, piaqt

yeah thats the way to do it ... kik em vere it hurts..... give them a taste of their own medicine....
    Cheers,
    Bringing The Humanity Back Into Computing

Friday, January 28, 2005 · Last updated 4:57 a.m. PT

Norway court upholds Napster conviction

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

OSLO, Norway -- Norway's supreme court ruled Thursday that a student whose Napster.no homepage was linked to free Internet music files must compensate the music industry.

The country's highest court upheld a lower court ruling that ordered the student to pay $15,900 in compensation. The published version of the court ruling withheld the student's name.

The student was learning computer engineering in the southern Norway town of Lillehammer when he set up the Napster.no site as part of a school project in 2001. His site had nothing do with the widely known Napster.com music site in the United States.

The Napster.no site provided links to music files in the MP3 format that could be downloaded for free. The site was online between August and November 2001, and provided links to about 170 free music files on servers outside Norway, the ruling said.

The music industry group Tono, Sony Music Entertainment Norway AS, Universal Music AS and others, saw the case as an important test of principle, and filed a legal complaint for copyright violations.

A lower court found for the music industry, while on appeal the Lagmannsetten court in Oslo cleared the student, saying any copyright violation occurred when others posted the music and not when he provided links to it.

In a summary of its ruling, the supreme court said the music was clearly published in violation of copyright law.

"The supreme court decided the case based on responsibility for abetting (an illegal act)," the summary said.

It said the student violated the law by showing people where to find the illegal music and that his actions "were premeditated and worthy of criticism."

Cato Stroem, managing director of Tono, said the industry was happy with the ruling, because it shows that music piracy won't be accepted and that copyright laws apply even on the Internet.

"The ruling will help build confidence in the Internet as a medium for the legal distribution of music," he said.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    Friday, January 28, 2005 · Last updated 4:57 a.m. PT

Norway court upholds Napster conviction

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

OSLO, Norway -- Norway's supreme court ruled Thursday that a student whose Napster.no homepage was linked to free Internet music files must compensate the music industry.

The country's highest court upheld a lower court ruling that ordered the student to pay $15,900 in compensation. The published version of the court ruling withheld the student's name.

The student was learning computer engineering in the southern Norway town of Lillehammer when he set up the Napster.no site as part of a school project in 2001. His site had nothing do with the widely known Napster.com music site in the United States.

The Napster.no site provided links to music files in the MP3 format that could be downloaded for free. The site was online between August and November 2001, and provided links to about 170 free music files on servers outside Norway, the ruling said.

The music industry group Tono, Sony Music Entertainment Norway AS, Universal Music AS and others, saw the case as an important test of principle, and filed a legal complaint for copyright violations.

A lower court found for the music industry, while on appeal the Lagmannsetten court in Oslo cleared the student, saying any copyright violation occurred when others posted the music and not when he provided links to it.

In a summary of its ruling, the supreme court said the music was clearly published in violation of copyright law.

"The supreme court decided the case based on responsibility for abetting (an illegal act)," the summary said.

It said the student violated the law by showing people where to find the illegal music and that his actions "were premeditated and worthy of criticism."

Cato Stroem, managing director of Tono, said the industry was happy with the ruling, because it shows that music piracy won't be accepted and that copyright laws apply even on the Internet.

"The ruling will help build confidence in the Internet as a medium for the legal distribution of music," he said.

how idiotic.. how is that guy gonna come up with that much money... its B.S.
    Cheers,
    Bringing The Humanity Back Into Computing

Posted on Thu, Feb. 03, 2005

French Criticize Music Download Crackdown

CECILE ROUX

Associated Press

PARIS - Dozens of French musicians, intellectuals and politicians are criticizing what they call a "repressive" crackdown against those who download music illegally over the Internet.

The campaign is believed to be one of the first of its kind in Europe to unite musicians and consumers in a backlash against the music industry's tactic of filing lawsuits against illegal downloaders.

Hundreds of Web surfers across Europe are facing legal action for downloading music files with peer-to-peer, or P2P, sharing networks.

"We denounce this repressive and disproportionate policy, whose victims are just a few scapegoats," said signatories of the campaign, led by weekly Le Nouvel Observateur in its edition published Thursday. "Like at least 8 million other French people, we also have downloaded music online and are also potential criminals," the open letter said. "We demand a stop to these ridiculous legal pursuits."

Well-known artists including Manu Chao, Matthieu Chedid (M) and Yann Tiersen, score composer for the hit French film "Amelie," added their signatures to the campaign entitled "Free up music!"

French Industry Minister Patrick Devedjian said he agreed that "every campaign of blind and brutal repression is not only ineffective, but harms all people concerned."

However, he told TF1 television that "the concept of everything for free is an illusion."

Brian Molko, singer for British rock band Placebo, expressed opposition to the campaign, saying, "Who ever said that we musicians would be the only people in the world who work for free?"

On Wednesday, a criminal court in the Paris suburb of Pontoise fined a teacher about 10,000 euros ($13,000) in damages for counterfeiting after he was found guilty of downloading nearly 10,000 tracks.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, an industry group based in London, and its affiliates have filed thousands of lawsuits against those who allegedly shared music illegally.

In the United States, the recording industry has sued more than 7,000 people over illegal downloads.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    "We denounce this repressive and disproportionate policy, whose victims are just a few scapegoats,"
    "We demand a stop to these ridiculous legal pursuits."
    "every campaign of blind and brutal repression is not only ineffective, but harms all people concerned."
    Sadly thats the attitude this world is headed....

Yes lets stop all the worlds repression, put an end to all the repressive prisons around the world.

Why should we repress another humans sexual desires, shouldn't we be allowed to rape ? Just because some of us think sex with children is repulsive does that give us a right to use repression on those who think its ok ?

What about murder ? If someone does you wrong shouldn't you be allowed to kill them so they can't wrong anyone else, what if they kill out of anger ? doesn't that fall under "Freedom of Expression" ? how dare those repressive governments...

I'm tired of my government repressing me. I don't want music, I want a BMW, I think I'll go to the car dealer and drive off in one. Shouldn't the people that make BMW's donate one to me ? Deduct the cost from their pay check, hey what the heck ! if they need money to pay the bills can't they go take it from the bank ? I'm sure the bank won't mind because they could deduct it from its employees pay check.

I know what your thinking "WTF FastGame" "We have to draw the line between right & wrong some where" your right the line has been drawn. We can't Murder, Rape or Steal and downloading music is illegal plain and simple.

I guess the uproar is really over who gets to draw the lines between right and wrong.

The music industry idiots already have the plan in front of their faces, it was provided by the software industry. There's Freeware and Open Source, and there's software you pay for. If the Musicians want their music to be freeware they could put their name on the list of Open Source, if they want to be paid then they'll be on list of music where its stealing if you don't pay.

Yep I can't wait for a non repressive world. I'll drive my BMW over to Best Buy and grab a bunch of music CD's & PC games and walk right out the door. On the way home if I see a Hot Babe I'll pull over and do her right on the street even if she says no! Oh and if her husband doesn't like it...well I'll use my "Freedom of Expression" and kill him...of coarse he could do the same to me which is cool.

Until that day comes I think I'd rather download music and take my chances with the Internet police, seems to be a safer bet than having city police chase me & my BMW down the streets of Detroit.

BTW I just checked the Worlds Repression Index, seems like Canada has the best deal this week. We can all move there if we don't like the repression our government provides.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    BTW I just checked the Worlds Repression Index, seems like Canada has the best deal this week. We can all move there if we don't like the repression our government provides.
    But baby, it's COLD outside!

Further idiocy from the RIAA: This one's been slashdotted, but still....

Deceased woman named in file-sharing suit
    By Toby Coleman
    Staff writer
    Gertrude Walton of Fayette County hated computers, her daughter said.
    That did not stop the recording industry from accusing the now deceased 83-year-old Mount Hope woman of illegally trading music over the Internet.

love, piaqt

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Burn in Hell RIAA!

The Village Voice is carrying a piece describing what it is like being on the receiving end of an RIAA John Doe lawsuit.

LINK