Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant install XP Pro

Unhappy Cant install XP Pro

[COLOR=deeppink][FONT=courier new][SIZE=3]
    Hi all I have a pent 111 677 mghtz 10gb HD and 275mb of ram.I am unable to install win xp Pro for some reason it starts to do the process goes all the way to installinmg but then I get the blue screen telling me that I must uninstall some hardware and programs and to stop Bios cache to which I did I even went as far as the dreaded foramt but still I am unable to install I have taken everything off wxcept the Video card still the same thing can anyone help please ?

Glad to have you aboard, you will find yourself coming back to TECHZONEZ time and time again, it is addictive.......

Sounds like you may have to update you BIOS. Check with your mother board manufacture to see if one is avaible..........

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    What video card do you have?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/win_xp_stop.htm

first check out that link. Has some great suggestions, fixes, and address quite a few STOP errors and BSOD's (blue screens of death)

This is what I would do...
    FIRST, try substituting your VIdeo card for another and see if that fixes the problem. As Conan hinted, it might be your VIDEO card, especially if its an NVIDIA!

Second, Check your power supply. Make sure you have enough wattage for your hardware. I'd say at least 250watts, but preferrably 300.

Third, take out all of your hardware, and reseat your RAM. Make sure everything is firmly secure.

Also double check in your BIOS and see if you have the BIOS caching disabled. You might also want to try to reset your BIOS to the default settings., and then switch the booting order to the CD. POP the XP cd in and try a clean install.

NEXT, if you are trying to install XP using multiple partitions, wait. Install XP on one solid NTFS partition. Do a reformat. Make sure your drive is unified... etc...
    Then use partition magic to partition the drives as you see fit.

LASTLy, update the BIOS of your Motherboard. Just find your makers website and see if they have an updated BIOS version. YOU can permanently screw up your motherboard by using the wrong BIOS flash, so be absolutely sure you are getting the right BIOS for your motherboard. Double and triple check before taking this step!

That is all of my advice...
    If you still can't get XP installed, perhaps your version is corrupt. You might want to try to send it back to microsoft, or obtain it through other means.

Good Luck, and please post your solution to this problem! I am eager to hear out it comes out.
    BB

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar

Talking

The fab Big Booger basically covered all that was to be covered, if you want to see a indepth conversation with someone in the same situation as you at the time, then go here:

http://www.proud-x.com/~xpforum/vb/s...s=&threadid=93

By the way, the forum is basically dead, with no user's visiting there anymore, so it's really worth only using the link as a reference and by all means sign up to the foreign forum if you want, your be wasting your time though.

And Rever, i think we are all grown up enough now to not make this an issue at all

Gimie

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Originally posted by GimieGimieGimie
    http://www.proud-x.com/~xpforum/vb/s...s=&threadid=93

By the way, the forum is basically dead, with no user's visiting there anymore, so it's really worth only using the link as a reference and by all means sign up to the foreign forum if you want, your be wasting your time though.

And Rever, i think we are all grown up enough now to not make this an issue at all

Gimie
    Hehe,any spamming for Peppy's is fine by me

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    Originally posted by Reverend

Hehe,any spamming for Peppy's is fine by me
    Hehe!

Gimie

Thanks to all of you I have done the Bios driver upgrade also I have got the videocard upgrade as well (It is Nividia TNT2 ) I have reseaded the Ram and pulled all leads out and replugged them back in. I though about a corrupt WinXP CD but borrowed another one and still I have the same problem I called Microsoft and they gave me the jargon that my Ram is not compatable well is that stupid or what? but just to check I installed different Rams and also the power is sufficient still I get the same thing telling me to stop the bios cache and stop all programs which I have done over and over again.

Regards
    Carol
    Last edited by cjjt; May 30th, 2002 at 20:52 PM.

Carol,try this procedure.

Firstly,Power down your machine and unplug the power supply lead from the back of the case.
    Locate the CMOS jumper on your motherboard and clear the CMOS. (your motherboard manual will give instructions on how to do this.)
    Reconnect the power supply and turn on your machine.Press and hold down the "Del" key and go into your bios setup.
    Go to advanced bios features and select CDROM as 1st Boot Device.Save & Exit the changes.
    Your machine will now reboot,pop the XP cd in and press enter when it asks you to boot from cd.
    During the XP setup select Format FAT32.(not quick format)
    Normally i would recommend you format using the NTFS file system,but because your hard drive is only 10gigs FAT32 will be better suited.

Hopefully XP will now install completely.Once XP is installed remember to go back into your bios setup and set the 1st Boot Device back to Floppy.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks Reverend I am at my witts end here I will do it this way that you have suggested coul;d you tell me if I format the HD again will I lose the New Bios upgrade os will it stay there also the Nividia TNT2 driver upgarde will they stay or will I lose them ?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    You will lose everything except the BIOS upgrade. I suggest backing-up important files/drivers that you may want to install later to a CD or some other storage medium.

Originally posted by cjjt
    Thanks Reverend I am at my witts end here I will do it this way that you have suggested coul;d you tell me if I format the HD again will I lose the New Bios upgrade os will it stay there also the Nividia TNT2 driver upgarde will they stay or will I lose them ?

The bios upgrade will remain because that is stored on the motherboard bios chip.You will lose the TNT drivers but XP has it's own drivers for that graphics card and they will be installed during the setup.

Thanks again all I will give it another go with the last suggestions I am not worried about losing everything just didnt want to reinstall the Bios upgrade as that was a job and a half as I dont know that much about Computers :-) by the way I dont want to partition my HD it is ok to do it on the C: correct as 1 operating system ?

Originally posted by cjjt
    Thanks again all I will give it another go with the last suggestions I am not worried about losing everything just didnt want to reinstall the Bios upgrade as that was a job and a half as I dont know that much about Computers :-) by the way I dont want to partition my HD it is ok to do it on the C: correct as 1 operating system ?
    Yep.Just C .One partition.

Talking

Ok I will give it another go