Thread: Excel Individual Cell formatting

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Excel Individual Cell formatting

Well, today me wife stumped me with a question on Excel.

How do you format an individual cell. It has been about 6 years since I used Excel and back then it was Excel 97'. So I thought I could help, but I have searched and came up a big zero.

She wanted to create a cell that is very thin between a top row/column and bottom row/column that was thick.. but the cells never could be individually sized. ANyone have an idea?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    sorry BB you cant individually resize a cell, only colums or rows, you can alter the format of a cell ie font, color background etc

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

now that is just a lacking feature. Why can't I say format one cell any size I like... MS sucks.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Cause then it would be a Word doc and not a spreadsheet...LOL

Could turn into a big mess

Oh..and MS does suck

It's funny though you can do next to anything to the cell, except for individually resize it.. What if you just want to resize one cell, and not the entire row or column.. seems like this feature should have been added many revisions ago.

Server God Administrator Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by Big Booger
    It's funny though you can do next to anything to the cell, except for individually resize it.. What if you just want to resize one cell, and not the entire row or column.. seems like this feature should have been added many revisions ago.
    But then every other cell directly arround it would have to resize accordingly

Originally posted by SupaStar

Could turn into a big mess

But then every other cell directly arround it would have to resize accordingly

Why?

Why can't I simply individually format the size of a cell. The cells above need not be touched and the cells below need not be touched.

Like have 3 normal cells at the top,
    and 3 at the bottom, and then one cell the size of those three in the middle, combined.
    As it stands now you have to merge three sells to accomplish the same task that allowing individual cell resizing to do.

That means you have to highlight all three, then right click the click on cell formatting, then click put a check in the box as it stands.

Whereas if you allowed selection of an individual cell, resize it, and make it so that it doesn't effect the cells around it, then that would be simpler.. just a click a drag method to achieve the same desired effect.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Method to resize individual cell, from rest of your table

1. select a cell that is isolated from your table data
    2. Change width of column to desired size
    3. change height of row to desired size
    4. You now have an individually sized cell compared to rest of your table data

.... j/k

I think the major problem is the inherent tabular format of excel, and the need to work in rows and columns.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Originally posted by cash_site

I think the major problem is the inherent tabular format of excel, and the need to work in rows and columns.
    That's it. It wouldn't be a spreadsheet otherwise. I mean, how would it work?

It would just be a bunch of boxes next to each other...no order..no structure...

I don't follow you BB. How can an individual cell be made smaller? Wouldn't the others, by default, be sucked in towards it?