Thread: XP Pro User Rights

Question XP Pro User Rights

Hi all,
    I was hoping someone could help me with this problem I'm having.
    I have set up an XP system, and have 2 users (at the moment).
    An Administrator, and a user account (EDC)
    What I want is th Administrator to not change, but the EDC User account to be very limited in what they can do. They mustn't be able to access system settings, install software or anything like that.
    The purpose of this computer is a public access internet computer, where some-one logs on in the EDC User Account it goes straight into Internet Explorer, and other programs can't be accessed, unless they click on a link to a Word document file or pdf file, then that program will open up.

I have tried in gpedit.msc, but all the changes I make affect both the user AND the Administrator. Does anyone know how to change settings for individual users?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Guest account

The guest account is intended for use by someone who has no user account on the computer. There is no password for the guest account, so the user can log on quickly to check e-mail or browse the Internet. A user logged on to the guest account:

* Cannot install software or hardware, but can access programs that have already been installed on the computer.
    * Cannot change the guest account type.
    * Can change the guest account picture.

Have you tried creating a guest account, it requires no password, and sounds like it locks the PC down.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I highly recommend the following software: http://www.dolinaysoft.com/xp_protector.htm

It used to be free...not sure why it isn't now

OK, thanks.
    I will try the guest account out, and see if that is what we need.
    I'm pretty sure there was a reason we didn't want to use taht account, but I can't remember what it was.
    We'll try it out and I'll get back to you if there are problems.
    Thanks again.
    I'll check out that software too.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I think a mixture of guest account and that program supa gave you, will fix it permanently so that they don't have much access to anything.

I found you have access to the task manager in the guest account, and you have access to all programs. I am sure there are ways to make those disappear, perhaps a registry fix or something of that nature.

Let us know. I will continue to look for a viable solution as well. This should be really easy.. I don't know why MS doesn't make a boxed list, where the admin can go down and grant or remove access to certain functions and features FOR EACH ACCOUNT..

That is what an admin should be able to do with ease... instead they want to make account types which is ok, but if you want to grant access to specific features and do away with other features at will, you should be able to.
    Last edited by Big Booger; September 18th, 2003 at 05:16 AM.

The beauty of that program is that is has heaps of options without the need to navigate the registry.

Also I find that the guest account is a little too restrictive at times, whereas XP-Protector allows you to customise everything so you can lock down an account the way you want. You are not restricted to Microsoft's "guest" settings.

Here's a link to the free version (0.5): http://www.dolinaysoft.com/xpprot.exe

Talking

OK, thanks for that!
    I had a look at the software and it looks just like what I'm after!
    I'll try it out and post back here if i need more help, but I think this is enough, thanks again!

No prob!