Thread: Running a repair on xp operating system

Question Running a repair on xp operating system

I have lost or corrupted some files due to crashes on one of my computers. I am running xp professional and upgraded from 98SE using an upgrade version of xp pro. Under 98, I had no problems doing a repair where only the corrupt or missing files were replaced. However, my 98 disc was a full version. I do not seem to be able to get to the repair mode on the upgrade xp disc. I have tried to boot to the disc after changing the bios to make the cd rom the first boot option, but it still boots from the hd. I have tried booting from an older 98 boot floppy choosing the boot using cd option but cannot get to the repair function. I can only get the upgrade or full install from the xp disc. I can get to the recovery console but that is not what I want. I also tried the sfc procedure from the cmd prompt but I cannot get the replacement files for system information which I no longer can access. I could live with this but I may have also have lost some other files that I am not yet aware of. Any help with a detailed procedure to repair the system using the xp pro upgrade disc would be greatly appreciated.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    It's either your XP is non-bootable or your motherboard doesn't support booting from the CD. Download this to create floppy boot discs for XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-4FED408EA73F

Thanks Conan. I made the system discs and was able to do the repair.