Thread: Windows 98SE Recommended updates

Windows 98SE Recommended updates

I just rebuilt a system with the HP restore CD, Installed and updated Office XP, and updates the Critical Updates to Windows. However, when I try to get the recommended updates I get stuck - after about 5 mins I get "Action Cancelled".

I checked some of the other messages and tried many things. I get an error when trying to re-register msscript.ocx. Is that my problem?

Don't know if this is your case, but here are some tips:

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...&threadid=6850

I have tried mose of these already - not the repair, but everything else I think.

Updates are older than IE6.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d.../corporate.asp

Can you install them manually? let me know if it works. If so then you most likely have an issue with msscript.ocx.

Thanks, I would have tried it, but I blew the system away and rebuilt it so I could get it back to the client. I did all of the Windows updates first, then started adding Office and other things.

Funny thing is that I have checked this sytem, and another 98SE system and neither have msscript.ocx!

Also, I tried Microsoft's premium PAID support and got this far: My name is Gaurav, I am a Support Professional here at Microsoft; and we spoke earlier today. Since we were not able to fix your issue, I will be closing this case as "not resolved" as I have already confirmed with you.

Thanks for the help - good to have for future reference!