Thread: RAID 1: Drive Failure? What next?

RAID 1: Drive Failure? What next?

Hello-

As my computer powered up from standby, it "hung" this AM. After several reboots, I discovered the Promise RAID Array Driver reported a "Critical Error" on one of my two SATA 120 GB Seagate drives. After several reboots, the system came up, and I took the following actions:
    1. Ran Norton AV. No reported issue.
    2. Ran Norton Windows errors routine. No issue.
    3. Ran SeaTools, HD diagnostic. No reported issue. Drives, connections, etc are reported to be fine.
    4. Ran sfc /scannow. No messages or errors, though the 1st attempt, I did get a blue screen of death, but error message flashed so quickly, I didn't capture it. I just returned to ran scf /scannow again.

Everything seems to check out OK, and presumably I can just rebuild the RAID1 array, copy over to the drive (errant drive, which seems to be OK?), and continue on. However, this error will most surely come back.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

One other issue, which might be a separate issue is I have the following errors reapreating with some frequency in EventLog:
    Error Source EventID Category
    Error ACPI 4 None
    Error ACPI 5 None
    Error DHCP 1002 None
    Error MrxSmb 8003 None
    Error System Error 1003 (102)
    Error Fasttx2K 9 None
    The 1st two errors repeat most often, every few days or so. The last error does refer to the Promise Array Controller and the error message is: "The device did not respond within the timeout period." In the last month, maybe only (2) errors of this type; within last month, maybe 10 of the "ACPI" errors listed above.

Thx.

Scott
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Hi Smartin,Welcome to Techzonez,
    I searched some forums for SATA Promise card problems similar to yours and in addition to the link I'm posting one other source suggests updating your Promise card bios/drivers.The one that has a link to the forum sounds good to try also.ForumLink Maybe someone else can shed some more light on your problem.Good luck.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Reply: Raid 1: What next?

Thx for the reply and the suggestions. I read the link/info. I have the latest rev of the driver for the Promise Raid controller on my MB; and similarly, I have the latest BIOS for the MSI MB.

An update: I am now running again. After NAV scans, I ran the sfc /scannow (courtesy previous suggestion REVEREND) command and this may have helped? In any case, I was able to limp one of the RAID1 drives, after the scannow command, I restored the array via the Promise Bios SW, imaged the good drive to the faulty drive, and haven't had an issue since. Another possibility is I have a bad cable/connection that created an intermittent fault that I had to recover from.

I don't think you've heard the last of me on this issue though....Thx.

Scott
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

Hello-

Wanted to provide an update. Relevant link is in Techzonez -> hardware/software -> hardware.

Repeated Errors: Hardware? .

Update from last post at the above link:

I get the problem only when I go to standby; only at this time to the ACPI Event IDs 4 & 5 register, preceded 1st by the Win32Time warning. When this occurs, I am prone to having problems with my RAID1 array waking up. When system is put into standby, I get the following messages in the EventLog:
    Error ACPI Event ID 4 - Unable read from ACPI BIOS
    Error ACPI Event ID 5 - Atempt to rite to illegal ACPI BIOS address.
    Warning: WIN32Time - EVENT ID 36. Synchronizaton loss.
    These errors correlate with problems I have coming back form standby; MS knowledge base suggests I need a new BIOS, yet I am using the latest MSI BIos for this board, version 2.3. Also, system I/O address shows 0x70 - 0x73 to correspond to system realtime CMOS clock, which is consistent with the clock reference above as well as addresses 0x70 & 0x71, both referenced above in ACPI errors.

I give up on this problem. Simply put, my computer will either by "on" or "off" from now on. No more standby.

I will assume this is a BIOS issue and hope the prob will be resolved with a future BIOS release & I've posted on the MSI site, hoping for additional info. THX for reading & the help. THX esp to Conan, who suggested memtest86. This didn't help hte acpi problem here, but it pointed out the faulty mem module & my system is already much more stable.

Scott