Thread: How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP

Bronze Member

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378

Note: Because Internet Explorer and Outlook Express is embedded into XP, To Repair/Re-install appears to be a complicated method.

SUMMARY
    This article describes how to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP. You may have to do this if you are having problems with Internet Explorer or Outlook Express because of damaged files or missing registration information.

For more information, here is the link-
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=ie600
    ===
    Method 2: Edit the Registry and Install Internet Explorer 6

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:

Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.
    Setup cannot continue.

To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps:
    While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
    Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.

To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows XP and cannot be removed. To provide computer manufacturers more flexibility in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP, Microsoft has made it possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to remove user access to Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet Explorer code intact and fully functional to make sure the functionality of programs and operating system functions that rely on it. For example, Windows XP supports an "IEAccess=off" switch in the Unattend.txt file, and Internet Explorer has been added to the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. This does not reinstall Internet Explorer.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    My question is why did they integrate IE into the OS like they have? I remember back in the day, it was a joy to get rid of it, and install an alternative, back then, netscape was the only other alternative. In fact most of the PCs I surfed with used netscape and I preferred it over IE.. until it became bloated and buggy...

Nice post by they way. Very informative. Thanks.

Bronze Member

my guess

is that m$ had to show to the judges (all over the world) that ie was so fully integrated with windows that they could not be sued for -- unfair monopoly or restraint of trade. and that it was impossible to break it up.

and fwiw- i ended up using method 1 (which was not posted)
    to solve the ie problem.

method 1 - start-run-sfc /scannow and of course- have m$ xp in the cd tray.

--
    i was relunctant to do method 2- the instructions to re-install and edit the registry originally confused me. although i would like to learn it. so i choose method 1 out of fear and it worked. i think?

now that i have re-read method 2, i think i could do it. i just have to read the fine print better.