Thread: Cannot search from Address Bar

Angry Cannot search from Address Bar

Hello, I am having difficulty running a search from the IE address bar. No matter what I type in to search, I get a return page generally reading: "Are you looking for a search engine? You have downloaded a malicious program...go to tweakxp.com to fix this problem"

I haven't clicked on the link provided b/c that really seemed like a setup to download a virus.

What is the origin of this page, and the fix? It's driving me bananas.

Thanks.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I would download adaware and run it. seems you got a hijacked little booger in your pc.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    You've definately had your browser hijacked. You can run any spyware app (such as Adaware as Phishhead recommends or Spybot Search and Destroy). If those fail, run an application called BHODemon to remove any malicious Browser Helper Objects.

Thanks, guys.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    it appears that advertisers are going to use the internet explorer exploits to no end and they are silently installing spyware and secretly redirecting you from your favorite websites to momentarily force you to view there ads.

it really is getting time to switch browsers because their is no patch available from Microsoft for this type of abuse.

If you ever get trapped in popup hell lookout!

you are going to get every kind of program run and installed on your machine.

These are the worst kinds of parasites.

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

The worst and certainly the MOST irritating. Especially for pop-ups. I once had so many pop-ups when I visited a page that the total number of IE windows grouped together was 25! It had also cause IE to hang and I had to end task. I think viruses can also be spread through it.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Start>Search>On the Internet>Change preferences>Change Internet search behavior>

Select "With Search Companion--------" (located in the top left window) and then select a default search engine. Click OK..

I hope this helps....