Thread: XP Log On

XP Log On

Hello Gentleman (and ladies!)

A customer has put a question to me recently, and I never really thought about it.

Can one start XP to go right to the desktop and avoid any log in accounts? I've recently just started using XP and know little about it. She just wants it to start up like 98 did.

And what about making it look more like 98? I've checked the classic option and it does little.

Thanks much,

Sharon

BTW......how can I get cool avatars like you guys?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Two ways to accomplish this:

1. Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Click "Change An Account">Click Your Username>Click "Remove Password"

2. Use TweakUI ( Direct-Download Link ) then Start>Program Files>Powertoys for Windows XP>TweakUI for Windows XP and navigate to "Logon" then "Autologin" Then set password, Apply>OK>Reboot .

Well regarding Avatars you could request some of our members to make you one like Egghead and Tinker or Big Booger or you could try doing an image search on Google.
    Last edited by Conan; November 2nd, 2003 at 03:28 AM.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar

Something else...

I've found that if there is only one user account and it does not have a password associated to it, then XP will automatically log in to that account.

Another thing you can do (regardless of the number of user accounts with or without passwords):

Go to the Start menu and choose Run. Type control userpasswords2 and press ENTER.
    Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer. Click OK.
    XP will prompt you to enter the user name and password that will automatically log in on start up.
    Click OK and you are done. On next boot XP will auto login just like Win98 used to.

NB - TweakUI (as posted by Conan) does the above

BTW - You don't really think my avatar is cool do you?

Here is a simple Avatar for you Sharon. I have no idea what you would want in a Avatar or a Sig so I have to guess. Let us know what you think you might want and we will try to get something going.........

Yeah!

Thanks Conan and SupaStar! I don't know what I would do without you guys!

Can you FEEL the love????

Tinker, thanks tons for the cool avatar! I will be switching them often now that I know how to make the darn things 80 by 80.
    There are just some things I've never taken the time to bother with, playing with graphics is one of them....

Signatures.........I am a HUGE Alice In Chains Fan...... may Layne rest in peace........got any ideas?

Thanks a million!

Sharon

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    good to hear you sorted out the XP logon deal... I had troubles too when upgrading to SP1 that my autologin feature didnt work... but good ol' tweak programs made it nice and simple

Tinker, thanks tons for the cool avatar! I will be switching them often now that I know how to make the darn things 80 by 80.
    Good job on the av Tinker...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Hi Sharon,

Good questions about the login in XP.I was glad XP had all those nice standard features of logging in seperately,but frankly like your customer I wanted the simple login and so just did not fill out the info when prompted and clicked ok during setup.If they have kids and don't want them using their computer's then there is always the screensaver password option or even a password program like File Locker to keep little hands off important stuff while your away.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.