Thread: Mode?

Mode?

Hey Guys,

Forgive the "this and that" sound to this question but its second hand.....

A hard drive was taken out of an old computer (old guts) and put into a new computer (new and faster guts!) and now this computer will not come out of safe mode. All old drivers were removed from device manager, an attempt made to put all new drivers in. Worked good until shut down and restarted.

Apparently there is a "mode" problem with the drive. Says something about MS DOS, that it is in this "mode" so that it can run. Nothing wrong in device manager, how does one change the "mode" that a drive is in.

I hope I've explained that correctly, error message or computer NOT in front of me.

Clueless in Morgantown,

Sharon

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    I am presuming this is on a 98 machine.
    Try a forced "Normal" boot.

Reboot and hold down the F8 or Ctrl keys.
    You should get the following screen menu,(use the up/down cursor arrows and select Normal);

1. Normal
    2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)
    3. Safe mode
    4. Step-by-step confirmation
    5. Command prompt only
    6. Safe mode command prompt only

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well if the old hard drive came out of an old pc with different "guts" and the new pc has different "guts" then I think a reformat and reinstall is in order...do both pc have "guts" from the same manufacturers. If not then reformat and reinstall.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I agree with Phishead,because with each motherboard that I have installed there have been setup utilities for a specific chipset that maximize the perfomance which may be what's holding up the boot process,unless they are identical chipsets or a close match.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    yes you may need to format and reinstall... this happened to me recently, upgrading MB from VIA to SIS, but keeping old HD, well the thing would Blue Sreen Dump at booting of XP! so in went the cd and quick formated to NTFS... no humming along... err no the HD is silient

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Talking Many Thanks......

[COLOR=darkblue]

I've put the old drive in as a slave and told dear cousin that she needs to get busy and move what she can to the hard drive that is in and working that came with it, that my advise from my online guru friends was that it pretty much had to be wiped. Was pissed when I opened it, she purchased it from a certain "auction" site online, stuff wasn't plugged in and the inside of the case was dented.

Ah, ya get what ya pay for

Many thanks,
    Sharon

hang on... did u say it was bought in earlier posts? If thats the case, did they get insurance? cos that should be covered and get fixed by the seller. This was similar, but as drastic, to a TZ member with a damaged case.

Also, you should send a negative feedback about the seller, making other people aware of their crappy sales!!

sure you get what u pay for, but it should work!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Ah, the irony.......

Yes Cash, I agree and have told her so.

Unfortunately, her brother, a very hard headed, closed minded and very grumpy person who calls himself a technician, told her he can get her upgraded to a newer system for cheaper than I could.

When it arrived it had ME on it instead of XP as advertised.....and had things switched and traded from the original deal. Her brother got his hands on it and it ended up with 98 on it and he had it royally screwed up. Took her cdrom out telling her because she has a burner she doesn't need it........ HA???????? She wants to burn cds you idiot!!!!!!!!! This is a guy who, while I was tutoring her, came out and told me I should teach her how to format and old 720? (I think thats what they are?)kb floppy disk. WHAT? Who can buy them anymore?????

I told her I won't support and continue to fix the crap he insists that she buy and that he makes worse when it hits the doorstep to compound the problem. I don't know it all, but I am constantly asking questions so that I know enough. Oh well, she traded headaches to save a few bucks and I've done all I can.

Sharon

oh i see now... well it might be time for that comp to take a long walk off a short pier, might be able to sell it to a sailor as an anchor.

hope she listens to you in the future. Gee, men, think they know it all

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---