Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar

all files stuck on read only

any ideas?

winxp
    unchecking read only and try again still stuck on read only

is it a virus?

or a bug?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    First time I have heard of this. What have you installed lately? What changes have you made lately?

Have you ran a virus scan? Have you tried safemode?

doing virus scan now

tried safemode admin and still the sa,me

havent installed any new programs that relate to this

only games'

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Could the files be inheriting permissions from elsewhere? What type of files are they...they're not on a CD are they

thanks for your reply

they are every file and directory on 80 gig drive c:
    and on drive d

appears to be a sp1 bug but cannot find cure

others referr to a virus doing this

im thinking format

but i would like a fix instead

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1066845539

Folders in Windows XP cannot be read-only. Windows will never display a regular
    check-mark in the read-only box when you open a folders properties, unless the folder
    is on a read-only disc such as a CD-ROM. Normally you should see a greyed out check
    mark, a green square, or whatever symbol your theme uses.

As Microsoft would say: "This is by design."

The square (or greyed out check mark) for a folder means NOTHING, NO CHANGE, WAITING
    FOR YOU TO USE ME. This is because the read-only box in a folder's properties is
    only used to apply or remove the read-only setting from all of the folder's files
    at once. If you clear the box and click Apply, then the files in the folder will
    be cleared of any read-only attributes they have. Like wise for checking the box
    to apply the attribute to all files. The square reappears the next time because,
    once again, you haven't used it.

FOLDERS do NOT have a functional read-only attribute in Windows. The read-only attribute
    is only for files. The read-only check-box for folder properties is a bad and confusing
    design. If you want to avoid read-only confusion, check individual files, ignore
    folders.

Windows file systems actually use the read-only attribute for a folder to make it
    customizeable, but the checkbox in a folder's properties has nothing to do with that.
    You cannot prevent a folder's contents from being changed using the read-only attribute.
    You can read more about that here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;326549

this sucks

my folders were fine yesterday

time for a format

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Sounds like a virus. Format away!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I know I'm gonna get beat for saying this but...I'd use System restore first to see what that does...

thanks rik

system restore is a very good tool

i, however, have disabled it so i won't loose some precious files that i may have forgotten about.

You see it actually removes all .exe's that were not there when you made your restore point.

I have some files in my program directory that oi want to keep so i disabled it.

time for a format.

good ole format

well..

not really a format

im just going to install XP overtop of XP as a new installation.

this will keep all my files on my hard drive intact.

I have 2 - 80 gigs and 4 - 40 gig hard drives that i use off and on

you would think that i could back up my files and format?

it will take me a solid week to organize all this crap.

Mostly demo games shareware crap i havent even installed.

kinda like "I gotta get this!"

and you never try it lol!

I understand completely...I've downloaded things and forgotten them many times. Later I end up deleting them 'cause I don't remember what they are or why I got them...I figured it was just old age with me tho

I think System Restore is the most useful program default in Win XP. It has saved my computer from the dreaded 5 hour reformatt, reinstall, redownload all your programs and updates. I get pissed especially when I accidently instally those pop-up ad programs and when you try to uninstall them, sometimes you'll need to use a uninstaller from the program website but they just won't let you d/l that uninstaller! I just restore and eveything is fine and dandy.
    i, however, have disabled it so i won't loose some precious files that i may have forgotten about.
    I think you should frequently create restore points just like you should frequently back up your HD. If you find that the restore points take up too much space, just use disk clean up to delete all the previous restor points except the latest one.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Yeah.....no

Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1066845539

Folders in Windows XP cannot be read-only. Windows will never display a regular
    check-mark in the read-only box when you open a folders properties, unless the folder
    is on a read-only disc such as a CD-ROM. Normally you should see a greyed out check
    mark, a green square, or whatever symbol your theme uses.

As Microsoft would say: "This is by design."

The square (or greyed out check mark) for a folder means NOTHING, NO CHANGE, WAITING
    FOR YOU TO USE ME. This is because the read-only box in a folder's properties is
    only used to apply or remove the read-only setting from all of the folder's files
    at once. If you clear the box and click Apply, then the files in the folder will
    be cleared of any read-only attributes they have. Like wise for checking the box
    to apply the attribute to all files. The square reappears the next time because,
    once again, you haven't used it.

FOLDERS do NOT have a functional read-only attribute in Windows. The read-only attribute
    is only for files. The read-only check-box for folder properties is a bad and confusing
    design. If you want to avoid read-only confusion, check individual files, ignore
    folders.

Windows file systems actually use the read-only attribute for a folder to make it
    customizeable, but the checkbox in a folder's properties has nothing to do with that.
    You cannot prevent a folder's contents from being changed using the read-only attribute.
    You can read more about that here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;326549

About that....

I have the EXACT same issue.
    Please explain then why folders cannot be DELETED until a restart.
    For Example:
    If I download something, unrar it into a temp folder. Use the files to install something. Finish the install. done. The program works.
    Yet, when I go to delete the TEMPORARY folder...OH!! Access Denied!!!
    Guess what it DOES delete though? ALL the files inside the folder...
    So it can delete the FILES..
    but not the folder itself.
    I can do it as soon as i restart...
    Please do explain this very strange thing.

THank you very much for your time;

Fermmy

Welcome to Techzonez. I believe it sees that folder as still being used by the program until the system is rebooted. Then when it is no longer "needed" it can be deleted.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I feel the same way as suprstar ntfs file permission problem.

think System Restore is the most useful program default in Win XP. It has saved my computer from the dreaded 5 hour reformatt, reinstall, redownload all your programs and updates. I get pissed especially when I accidently instally those pop-up ad programs and when you try to uninstall them, sometimes you'll need to use a uninstaller from the program website but they just won't let you d/l that uninstaller! I just restore and eveything is fine and dandy.
    It's also great for hiding viruses, taking a large space on the Hard drive and slowing down the computer by creating random checkpoints.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)