Thread: Upgrade overwrite ?

Bronze Member

Upgrade overwrite ?

I know this is a loaded question.

I'm running Win98, can I simply install/upgrade to Win2000 or WinXp over the Win98.

I mean will it keep stuff in tact like personal files (Word docs., spreadsheets...)

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    typically you can do this, however I would back up your data and reformat and start fresh. I never upgrade my os's. always do a clean install.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    phish is totaly correct. Technically it is "supposed" to install without a hitch but, always, always, always, backup your data first. And naturally the clean install method is preferred...

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I tried installing over 98 twice and ended up cleaning up a bunch of files and programs that wouldn't work anymore.Clean install and make the file system NTFS instead of FAT 32.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    NTFS allows for files to be bigger than 4gigs!

this is great if you are planning on making your computer a PVR.

any file on FAT32 that is over 4gig will become useless forever.

I have installed XP over 98 a couple times without problems. It worked fine but ate a lot of disk space.

I agree with previous posts. If you can use a clean install.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If you have the disk space, why not run a dual boot configuration. You should be able to do it without problem and keep your existing Windows 98 partition intact.

Just a thought. But if you are disk space limited, go with a format, and clean install as others have notably pointed out.

Bronze Member
    How is the dual boot performed ?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    rather simple.

Fresh install 98. Apply all updates, patches fixes, software etc...

Then use a partition software (I recommend Partition Magic, but you can use the built in FDISK with a boot floppy)..

Partition the HDD, into as many partitions as you like... but bare in mind that the OS, software, etc.. have to fit on the partitions.

Example
    80GB

20GB for Windows 98

60GB for windows XP

once you get your second partition created, pop in the XP CD rom. Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the CD rom first. Then install XP. Only when it comes time to choose which partition to install it in, select the secondary partition (the one without 98)...

Let it do its thing. Once you complete it, run the updates and install programs for XP.

Then if you ever want to run 98 again, just restart, and when you reboot, you should have two selections to boot into, windows 98 and windows XP.

IF you want to maintain compatibility with 98, make sure to choose FAT32 as your partition type when you install XP. Though you will loose some of the added features of NTFS file system.

Good post - BB.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition