Thread: Useless email question :-p

Useless email question :-p

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask this kind of question but....

Does anyone know of a way I can access an email server such as mail.yahoo.com, which only accepts POP3 & SMTP connections but to access it via port 8080 ? The reason is, I access the INet via a Wingate server & my Admin won't allow those ports for some reason. :-(
    Live long and prosper!

There may be more to this than I am understanding. Mozilla mail has port assignment capability. Default is 110 for incoming and 25 for smtp. This is in the server section.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Basically I'm behind a Firewall thats disabled access to ports SMTP(25) & POP(110), however I do have HTTP(8080). Yahoo only accepts conections through SMTP & POP, which is where the problem is. :-(

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way round this? e.g. A free E-Mail provider that accepts connections through HTTP that can also maybe check an account such as Yahoo.

Yours,
    Coffee

P.S. Also recently purchased McAfee Spam Killer, which no longer works due to this.

Back to my post above. Mozilla mail has the ability to change the port setting. I would assume, though I have no reason to test it, that this ability was built in for a reason. I suggest that you download Mozilla ver. 1.5 or 1.6b, set up the mail account and test changes to the port settings.

Sorry, still not entirely sure what exactly you mean but I've just been trying it out and there doesn't really seem to be much more to it than any other regular email software. :-\

This link contains detailed instructions, w/screenshots, for set-up of Mozilla and Netscape mail (they are virtually the same - with the exception that there have been several upgrades to Mozilla mail since Netscape 7 was released). The portion dealing with server port settings is near the bottom of the file. Read closely because there are several items that deal with port settings.

http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/specs/accounts/

Slap me if i'm wrong but,
    I fail to see how if i change the out going ports my end of the connection is going to alter how the recieving end of the connection is going to be changed?¿
    Live long and prosper!

There is also the ability to change the inbound server port.

The only way you are going to find out if it works is to try it.

Another solution to your problem might be to set up different login configurations depending on what you want to do.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://www.atomintersoft.com/product...-list/connect/

This works with outlook, but it also changes your Internet Explorer Settings...

Just borrow the proxy IP and port info from the page above and under internet explorer tools, options, connection, LAN settings, put the proxy info in the spaces provided.

Then click ok, then try to connect to your mail It may work, then again it may not,

NICE ONE BRUVA !

That sorted that problem out thanks Big Booger

Now how difficult was that EFC ¿
    Live long and prosper!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Sarcasm really isn't necessary. You were asking for help and EFC was giving you a way around your issue.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Like rik said there is no need for sarcasm Coffee.

efc took the trouble to offer help.It may not have solved your problem but please refrain from sarcastic comments.

I await an apology from you to efc forthwith.
    Last edited by Reverend; December 29th, 2003 at 21:27 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

I don't need an apology. I'm not sure that I ever understood his main problem. As most long term members know, I don't use Microsoft products if I can avoid it. Since I haven't used Outlook or Outlook Express, I don't know anything about their setup. As stated earlier, I was trying to provide an alternative. Glad BB came along with the answer he needed.

I don't want a new member to leave over this. Some day Coffee may have the solution to one of my problems.

Welcome to Techzonez, Coffee.