Thread: Parser Message

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar

Parser Message

Hi all,

I open Add/Remove Programs in the control panel and I get a Parser Message "value creation failed at line 472".Any idea how to get the Add/Remove program to work again?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Titanium Member
    If I remember correctly, that could be an error created by the use of certain 3rd party msstyle themes. Are you using one? Try regular windows theme see if that helps.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try this solution i found on several sites:

Fixing the dreaded "Parser Message: Value creation failed " at line 472" error. This is a problem with the file shellstyle.dll, which is included in most visual styles. Use the following steps to fix the problem:

Go to your /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes directory, or wherever you may have your themes located. Go into the directory of the theme your currently using.
    Example: Using 'Semplice' by KoL? Navigate to /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes/Semplice
    Go into the folder called 'Shell" within the previous directory.

Inside you'll find a folder with a file called 'shellstyle.dll' inside. Now remember the name of the theme your using? (Example: Semplice). You need to rename this folder from Shell to the name of the theme your currently using. If you don't know the exact name, go to Display Properties, and try to Display/Show the theme, the name you see in Display Properties is the name you need to change the 'Shell' folder to.

Example: Using Semplice as an example, the Shell folder for that theme is called 'Shell', in this situation you'll need to rename the folder to 'Semplice'. Easy enough, right?

Note that for multi-part themes, aka themes with more than one variation or color, you'll need to rename each corresponding 'Shell' folder to what is displayed in Display Properties when you try to apply the theme.
    Now that you've changed the 'Shell' folder name to correspond with the visual styles name, reapply the theme.

Go to Add/Remove Programs, and voila!

NOTE: u can also just remove your theme and go to a standard XP one, uninstall your program, then apply your theme again.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Thanks,both solutions worked.I applied Damek Ultra blue visual style through style xp and on the style xp site where I found it explained what reverend has here as the install procedure.I saw it but didn't follow directions.Anything I apply from that site ussually works like a charm.Oh well, thoughts of reformating flashed before my eyes then I asked for help.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

An old post I know, but through pure relief I just HAVE to add here that this morning I too was getting this 'Parser Message' each time I tried to open 'Add/Remove' in 'Control Panel'. I've been a computer user for 6 years but fairly new to XP and Visual Styles. I panicked first, then did a search and found this site and this post. THANK YOU!!!!!!!
    I've bookmarked this forum.

tq so much for the information

Glad that I finally found something close to the problem that I am having. When I try to open my Add/Remove Programs app I get an error msg that says Parse error " at line 1. Will the above solution work for this error msg? I went to the Windows/Resorces/Themes folder and found several folders but none with the theme that I appear to be using. Like zipp51 I to have visions of having to reformat. Can anbody help?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Try this solution i found on several sites:

Fixing the dreaded "Parser Message: Value creation failed " at line 472" error. This is a problem with the file shellstyle.dll, which is included in most visual styles. Use the following steps to fix the problem:

Go to your /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes directory, or wherever you may have your themes located. Go into the directory of the theme your currently using.
    Example: Using 'Semplice' by KoL? Navigate to /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes/Semplice
    Go into the folder called 'Shell" within the previous directory.

Inside you'll find a folder with a file called 'shellstyle.dll' inside. Now remember the name of the theme your using? (Example: Semplice). You need to rename this folder from Shell to the name of the theme your currently using. If you don't know the exact name, go to Display Properties, and try to Display/Show the theme, the name you see in Display Properties is the name you need to change the 'Shell' folder to.

Example: Using Semplice as an example, the Shell folder for that theme is called 'Shell', in this situation you'll need to rename the folder to 'Semplice'. Easy enough, right?

Note that for multi-part themes, aka themes with more than one variation or color, you'll need to rename each corresponding 'Shell' folder to what is displayed in Display Properties when you try to apply the theme.
    Now that you've changed the 'Shell' folder name to correspond with the visual styles name, reapply the theme.

Go to Add/Remove Programs, and voila!

NOTE: u can also just remove your theme and go to a standard XP one, uninstall your program, then apply your theme again.

Try following the above instructions and that should take care of the problem.

yo. thanks a lot, saved my aXX