Thread: no pictures, just "x"

Silver Member

no pictures, just "x"

Occasionally I get an e-mail from a friend that has a message, but also pictures. I can not open the picture. All I see is a box with an X inside it. Clicking on it does not open it. I have disabled my pop-up stopper as well as my anti-virus, but I still can't open the picture. Is the problem on my end, or at the other end ? If it is at my end, does anyone have any suggestions for me to try ? Many thanks !! RUnning Windows XP Pro, Internet Explorer 6.0 and Outlook Express.

The pop-up manager has no part to play in this issue. Leave it on. Turning off your anti-virus is not wise in the current internet environment. The X indicates it is an image that ithe browser/email program can't open.

The easiest solution is to save image to Pictures folder and open it with an image viewer.

Save the image by Right Clicking on the image and Left Click on Save As. Choose the Folder to save in, give it a unique name and Left Click on OK.

This one is small and works for most formats. It also allows you to convert the file to a format that the browser/email can handle, ex .jpg.

Download IrfanView
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Silver Member
    efc-- I did as you said, I right clicked on the IMAGE, and I then left clicked on "SAFE AS.." but then nothing happened. No other screen opened up as I expected. If I have the letter open, and then go up to FILE, and the choose SAVE AS, another screen opens where I can select a folder to put the letter in. I tried that. I put the whole letter in a folder, but was still unable to open the picture using Windows Picture and FAX viewer.
    This letter with the picture was one of those letters that go around the internet etc. and was just forewarded to me. Maybe the person who forewarded it to me never really "HAD" the picture, so they were just forewarding the letter with no pictures with it. I will e-mail the person who sent me this letter and ask them if they actually saw the picture. Is there something else I can try in the meantime ?

Silver Member
    efc- I checked with the person who sent the e-mail. She said she did see pictures, and she resent me the e-mail with pictures again, but I still can not view the pictures. ?????? I then forewarded the e-mail to my computer at work, and when I hit the SEND button, I got a message that basically said there were no pictures, did I want to send anyway. I then said yes. I will check my messages at work tomorrow, but I will bet there will be no pictures.
    What else can I try ?

Mike13- This is a technique issue. After you do it successfully do it once everything will all be clear to you. The goal is to save the image to a specific folder so that you can find it later. That is accomplished in the "save image as" operation. You are the one that will have to decide where the image is saved. Once you do it the first time, future images will automatically be saved to the same location (unless you change that location in the future). For that reason, I suggest that you save it in the My Documents>Pictures folder. You will always know where to look for images.

There is no additional window when you save the image. The first time we will add a step so that you can see that the file is actually in that location. Click on Start>My Documents>Pictures look through the folder to find the image. Then double click on the image file. It is likely that Windows will open the appropriate program to view the image. If it fails then download and open IrfanView, then point to and open the image file. IrfanView can view several dozen image formats. Good luck.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition